Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Norton Antivirus 2002.

Scanned my files and Norton renamed all jpg files the "[filename].jpg.vbs". Said they were infected and will not fix. What the heck happened. All the files cannot be deleted. Are these files quarantined? Been using the defaults in the software. What can I do to get them back?

Also did it to all the mp3's.

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forums MSL4

Take a look here.

It looks like you have a virus. Read their instructions on removal.

Do you upgrade your virus program often?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SPEEDO,

I first encountered this problem a few months ago. I don't think it's a recent virus. I have always kept the "Automatic Liveupdate Enabled". I also button checked "apply updates without interrupting me". At that time I downloaded a recent update and rescanned.

What is did to the mp3 files was this:
Nickelback - How you remind me.mp3 3.993KB
Nickelback - How you remind me.mp3.vbs 10KB

When I looked a my jpg files, it only had this:
P040502_01.jpg.vbs 10KB

So Norton doesn't put this extension (vbs) on the end of jpg's?

It added the vbs extension to my jpg files and the size of each one is now 10k.

Are you saying I can't get these jpeg files back?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should Norton AntiVirus be installed on all computers on a 3 computer network?

Each computer has it's own email. Can one computer loaded with Norton AntiVirus check all incoming mail?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Depends on your setup, if your computers are getting their mail from one system set up as a proxy with NAV on it then yes, if all your computers are connected through a router then no.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm setup with a Home PNA system. Using Windows 98SE internet connection sharing software to one cable modem.

Would this be a "Yes"?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I believe so, your setups got one computer connected directly and all other computer go through it to get access. This would probably depend on what type of mail service your using .. HTML vs POP3. If your using POP3 and every-things routed though the NAV computer your good, but if your using HTML mail then theoretically any computer can open an infected piece of email.

My advise is to just install on all, its not like Nortan uses Windows product activation type thing or anything, you can install it on all if you've got it on 1. :winking:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you TheTechIsIn,

Learned a hard lesson. Lost couple years of digital pictures of my two daughters. Had them backedup on another of my 3 networked computers. VBS got them all.

Give me 2 minutes with the one who wrote the virus. He'd have to learn to type with a pencil in his mouth.

Thanks again, everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.