Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

About 2 months ago I reformatted my harddrive. I went through all the normal procedures and installed Norton 2005 Anti-Spyware Edition. After doing all of Symantec's Live Updates, I restarted. When my computer loaded back up.. It took between 2 - 5 minutes for the network connections to.. connect.. and I couldn't do anything with my computer until then. Programmes wouldn't load and would freeze my computer, and it wouldn't un-freeze. Example: I ran Age of Mythology, and I'd try to play online, but when the programme tried to connect to the internet, Norton's little box would pop up and I'd permit. But then the programme would freeze and I'd have to force a restart. (By the way, I was running Windows XP Pro SP2.)

About a week ago, I got a new harddrive. I installed XP Pro SP2 on it again, and then went through all the above. After installing Norton 2005, It started happening agian. Any programme that attempted to access the internet would freeze, and blahblahblah.

I removed Norton with Symantec's product removal tool, and tired again with Norton 2004. This did exactly the same thing. I did the internet programme scans within Norton and so on.

After giving up, A thought popped into my head. Trying XP Home. But again, 2005 and 2004 didn't work.

So I just re-formatted again and tried one last time with XP Home. But nothing changed.

I tried removing all windows updates, including sp2, and putting Norton on, but that does shiite all, so I can only imagine it's a hardware problem, but I can't figure out what. Anyone got any ideas?

If you need anymore info or don't understand that my question is "Help?", Then just post below and I'll try my best to clarify.

Cheers

Edit: Oh, and I don't wanna use anything other than Norton. It's the only thing I have ever trusted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well u say its the only program you ever trusted? Are you sure its not time to look into trusting something else? I have to tell you straight out, Norton is a big resource hog and it has some problems where it becomes unstable and the autoprotect goes off, which is very annoying. I dont know about the antispyware, but I can tell you microsoft offers a very good (currently) free real time antispyware program. Keep this in mind if norton is still causing trouble down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really use Norton for the Anti-spyware system that it has, and I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware anyway.

I don't know what else there is that has Internet Security and Anti-Virus that's reliable.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
My 2 cents worth: back up any files you need then format and reinstall your operating system.
Throw nortons in the bin where it belongs and then install the two programs that mustang mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am soooo never re-formatting again. I've been doing it for the past two weeks and just thinking about it makes me queasy. Symantec have a removal tool for it, and it removes every trace of all Symantec products on one's system. Works a treat.

As to Mustang's reply, I might try ZoneAlarm Firewall... But I refuse to use AVG Anti-Virus.

What I don't really understand is why, in the last 2 weeks, I've put Norton 2005 on over 13 computers (not the same disk :p), and none of them have any problem.

I'd really appreciate if anyone who's had the same problem and fixed it, and/or knows how to fix it can post and tell me what to do.

Cheers,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.