Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I have a bit of a hard drive transfer dilemma.

I'm running Windows 10 and the way the system is setup is I have a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD system drive (My Drive C where the OS is installed), and a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD (My D Drive with program file installs and general files).

Recently I've been running low on space on my D drive, so I decided to upgrade it to a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD. I figured since it's not a system drive there is no sense in cloning it. I simply plugged in my 2TB drive via enclosure and initialized it in the exact same way as my original 1TB. Once it popped up in my computer I confirmed that it was a blank 2TB NTFS GUID partition drive. I simply copy/pasted everything from my D drive onto it with no issue.

I swapped the 1TB for 2TB drive on my motherboard, and successfully booted up. However, when I examined the drive both in This PC and Disk Management it showed up as a 1TB drive. Even Samsung Magician software displays it as such, but in details the name is displayed correctly as Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB.

Aside from that, My Documents folder is migrated on my D Drive, and when I try to access it, I get an error message that says "D:\Documents is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." This folder was perfectly accessible with all the files intact before I swapped the drives.

I'm sure there are other system related glitches like this, and it seems to be related to how the system drive references my D Drive. The question is what did I do wrong here, and how can I fix it? Should I have cloned it after all?

Thanks

EDIT:

I swapped the drives back and it seems to have caused more problems. Now the D Drive (original 1TB SSD) shows up in This PC as 929 GB free of 931 GB (whereas before it was 45 GB free), and I can't access the Documents folder in there either. Same error message as before. When I check Properties on the drive it shows that only 2.32GB are used even though the still accessible files take up way more than that.

I popped the 2TB drive back into its enclosure and fired that up to see what's happening there. In Disk Management the file system shows up as RAW. Clicking on the drive from This PC pops up error E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." So the whole drive seems to be a brick now.

Can't believe I've made this all worse, but my biggest concern is reaccessing the Documents folder or at least recovering it if not possible.

EDIT 2:

So I ran CHKDSK on the 2TB drive in the enclosure since it's just a duplicate of the original. It seems to have removed most of the files on it with only 329GB remaining (compared to 885GB originally). Afterwards, since I couldn't seem to access any folders I went into Properties and used Tools > Error Checking function. This "fixed" whatever it fixed, but didn't resolve my issue. I unplugged the drive and restarted the machine. This fixed all of my problems. Upon boot up, my original 1TB D Drive showed the correct amount of used and unused space, and Documents folder became accessible again with all of the files perfectly intact.

TL;DR: Copy drive files mostly destroyed and original drive back to normal, all files intact, and functioning like nothing happened. Yay!

That brings me back to my original problem. How do I safely move everything on 1TB D Drive to the new 2TB upgrade drive seamlessly?

· Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
With the original 1TB D: drive back in place, open CMD and run CHKDSK /F on it. If the drive is in use and you're asked to schedule the check at next startup, choose yes and reboot. Let the disk check run to completion. When Windows loads, check if disk usage is still reported incorrectly. With the 2TB drive attached externally, run CHKDSK /F on it too and see if it reverts back to NTFS instead of RAW.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured I'd give an update to anyone who is in the same boat. Cloning the data drive did the trick for me. There are a number of free options available out there, but the main thing is after cloning you'll lose your extra hard drive space. It'll become unpartitioned and split from your cloned space. Use a partition manager program to merge them back together and you're good to go.

In the end I had to reinstall two pieces of software that didn't survive the migration, but otherwise I didn't have any of the weird problems I ran into when I simply copy/pasted the drive originally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts