Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my cpu fan has been making a buzzing noise. It's enough to be irritating. Is this normal? Someone said that Athlons are noisier than Pentiums. Also both fans run all the time, are they suppose to?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The noise the fans makes is dependent on the design of the fan and the heatsink.

If your fan has gotten noiser recently, it's a sign that it's probably about to die, time to consider a replacement. If it stops, you'll likely have reliability issues, if you don't toast the processor altogether.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, the fans should run all the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It might be the fact the fan might be bit loose. I had a case when my fan from my nVidia video card was making a terrible buzzing noise. I just tapped the fan in a few times with a screwdriver and then it was as quiet as a mouse.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

now im curious. my processor fan seems to idle sometimes, and then it fires up all loud when it is loading something or when i run a game it stays revved up. i know it isnt my CD drives, cos it makes the same sounds when they are both open. also, my pc is running colder now for some reason. nothing seems to have changed, and it used to idle at about 60 and now it is doing good at about 55. i have my cpu fan plugged into the plug on the mainboard that says "CPU Cooler", i used to have it running from the hard disk power feed, and when i had it that way, my machine's fan noise didnt fluctuate like this.
anyone think this is weird?

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
My MB has settings to vary the speed of the three fans that the MB controls. I choose to just let the suckers run. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.