Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm forced to use my old GeForce 2 MX for the time being. I won't be doing any gaming of course. This is just for desktop use. Problem is, the tiny fan on it is very very noisy now. I've tried putting in a few drops of fan oil but it didn't help.

I guess the question is, is it possible to remove this heatsink and fan and attach my own? The heatsink is attached with thermal paste, and I don't want to try ripping it off, and damaging the core in the process. Is it even possible to seperate a core and heatsink once they are attached like this in the factory?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it's very easy infact and you should do no damage if you're careful.

Now, remove any screws that secure the heatsink to the circuit board and for ease, also remove the fan from the heatsink. The heatsink may take a small amount of pull to remove as old thermal paste adheres the two surfaces. If it doesnt come with direct upwards pull, try side to side.

Once you have it off, clean the surface of the GPU which you will notice is very smooth and shiny, this is a production finishing technique to allow better thermal passing...you want to clean it up as best you can, I use an anti static foam cleaner but any alcohol based substance works fine, it's no secret formula! Do the same to the under side of your new heatsink.

Now, apply your thermal paste sparingly to the top of the GPU - do not be fooled into thinking that better thermal passing is achieved with more paste! The paste is only there to smooth the roughness in the milled heatsink surface so that more conduction area is available. A sheet as thick as a piece of A4 copier paper is just on the thick side...a little less, and the same to the heatsink OK ;)

EDIT - Remember however that thermal paste is not glue! It wont hold a heatsink on if the graphics card is upside down in your case so it might tbe worth you simply trying to adapt a new fan to the existing heatsink.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah ok, I'm really confused. Just pull it off? I swear, it's on there permanently. I'm ganna snap the card in half if I pull harder. And there's no screws holding it on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sometimes you will have to use a tool to get it off, such as a flathead screwdriver. It should be screwed on somewhere (they almost always are) and if not, the factory paste used was also and adhesive in which case your best bet is to leave it be. If it is stuck and I recommend doing this anyway, merely replace the fan. Leave the heatsink intact and just replace the part that is noisy.

Edit: I have yet to see a gpu that is shiny.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
some of these heatsinks have plastic pins that hold them on, once you work them loose then you can try and gently rotate the heatsink one way or the other to get it to break loose. What i have done for a temp fix is to unplug the fan and setup an 80mm fan to blow on the heatsink, crude but it worked.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, there is absolutely nothing holding this heatsink on but the glue. The card DOES have the 2 mounting holes on it, but they are not used. Which led me to believe that this heatsink was removable so I could attach a better one. I already tried taking pliers to it but all I did was break off heatsink legs. It's permanent, guys.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, is it even possible to get my radeon 9800 8x to work on my board that supports 2x/4x? Isn't there just a way to set the card to operate at 4x? I plug it in but I get no signal on it...

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oldmn said:
The Key here is the card voltage early AGP's were 3.3 volt (X2 and X4) later cards were 1.5 and .8 volts . So it would depend on th MOB AGP voltage. What MOB you do you have?
Well I am RMAing my Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 at the moment. I am using some old PCCHIPPS board M830LR. It's old, but it doesn't give me near as many problems as that new board did.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
oldmn said:
It may support the card The manual indicates that it is AGP 2.2 which is 1.5v @X4. :4-dontkno You might want to read this
Oh my god I am retarded. I forgot to plug in the vid card's power. Hah, it works now. Although it's limited to 2x. Which is odd because my GeForce 2MX runs at 4x fine.

Probably won't be able to play HL2 on that, but HL1 surely. I've been missing the old school CS and DOD anyways. This will make my wait much more enjoyable, til that board gets repaired.

Thanks for the link.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldmn said:
That at least keeps you from going into withdrawals. :sayyes: NO PC :SHOCKED: :grin:
Yeah, but I had my trusty Saturn and Dreamcast for when I need my fix.

I'm wondering if these Omega third party radeon drivers are to blame. My old board's manual says this is a 4x agp 2.0 slot. Why isn't the radeon doing 4x? I may try the officials later.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whiteboyfunk said:
I have yet to see a gpu that is shiny.
Both my 5950 Ultra and my 6800GT have GPU's that are shiny...sure you've ever looked?

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-=carlos=- said:
Both my 5950 Ultra and my 6800GT have GPU's that are shiny...sure you've ever looked?
We're speaking of the actual core on a vga card? Um yeah, they should all be shiny, once you clean the surface of course. I had to look at the core of my radeon 9800 pro to see whether it was an R350 or R360. Ironically, the BIOS said it was a 350, but the core proved that it was a 360.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.