Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a Dell Dimension E521 with no upgrades or changes. Its been noisy for a while and I've been living with it but now I'm fed up.

I was pretty sure it was a fan problem and may still be as I've heard and cured through cleaning similar noises on other pc's. Mine of course does not appear to be that simple. I cant quite tell which fan or area its coming from (have had my ear to this thing for the last few hours) but if I had to bet I think its coming from the PSU area.

I spent the last few hours with the cover off, have dismantled the PSU casing and the other casing hiding access to the second fan. Have meticulously cleaned every bit of dirt and dust from these areas and the entire insides using a half inch and inch soft paintbrush and 1 and a half cans of compressed air. I can assure you that there is not one spec of dust inside this pc. I have never dismantled the PSU and half expected it not to work again but hey I remembered how to put back together again and the pc is up and running again BUT THE NOISE IS JUST AS BEFORE!

its frustrating to go through all that cleaning and for it not to be just dirt/dust etc (oh and put one tiny drop of oil on the fans as directed in some images i saw online on how to do this).

What could it be and how and in what order to I rule out the little beasty

many thanks for any suggestions. i will keep reading up on it

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Disconnect on fan at a time to see if the noise dissipates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.