Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two harddrives, and in the midst of playing a game on the second one, the computer started making very soft clicking-like noises every few seconds. They were only unusual in that they sounded utterly out of place. The sort of noises it made weren't much louder than those a harddrive normally makes when loading up or not fully idle.

So obviously I freaked out when I heard it could be impending harddrive failure, and so I went on Youtube looking for the sounds of harddrive failures.

All the sounds I heard were far too loud or far too much like actual "clicks" to be the same thing as this.

I pretty much narrowed it down to the secondary drive, as after restarting, the sound would still occur, most notably when opening things like the Recycle Bin. Then I just removed the secondary drive completely, and now the computer isn't making those sorts of sounds at all.

Nice thing to note: I'm a major hypochondriac, and virtually any unusual sound from the computer freaks me out into a legitimate cold terror.

How loud is loud enough or not loud enough for it to be impending harddrive failure? I should say that with a TV on moderate volume next to the computer, the clicking is barely audible above it. It was only very clearly audible when the TV was muted and the fan next to me was shut off.

Another thing potentially worth noting: my motherboard has support for only four SATA cables, and the case I have takes up one of them for a totally useless e-Sata thing in the front. As such, I've had to use a SATA cable for the second harddrive which was barely 5 or 6 inches long. As such, it couldn't fit into the slots the case has for hard drives, and so I had to basically let it sit freely within the case just below where the CD drives go.

Is my hypochondria correct in thinking this second harddrive is near failing? Or is it even worse and likely my primary harddrive, despite not making any clicking sounds whatsoever on its own?

Or is the more likely answer the incredibly stupid/precarious position the second harddrive was placed, basically leaning atop a bunch of metal areas?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put the second harddrive in a proper position beneath the other one in the little slots the case has available. I haven't heard this clicking anymore, but I'm still paranoid and paying attention to every little sound it makes that is in any way more audible than the usual muted clicks.

Is my fear far too overbearing? Was this just a case of misplacement that took about 5 days to start making itself known?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where could I get those diagnostics? One is a Samsung and the other is Hitachi. I ask because I tried some other programs, such as Seagate, which doesn't detect any of the drives, and two others which did not work, giving the exact same error message that it doesn't work on a 64bit system

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, exact same error message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running [Windows 7 Premium 64bit]. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

This is regardless of what I set the compatibility on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They (at least Hitachi, the only one that responded so far) don't have a 64bit version just yet, and recommended I seek out other ones that do.

So two questions: Where can I find one that is 64bit compatible?

And two: I'm panicking at every noise my computer makes! I suspected maybe the fans are running a bit louder than usual, though I'm sure that's either dust collection or my own imagination, and one of the harddrives keeps making very soft noises, not very loud, not consistant, and not exactly "clicks" but the sort of usual "tribbling" noises when loading. It happens when I do stuff like click stuff and open programs and the like.

I'm scared. I'm paranoid. And I'm well aware of it!

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
you need to contact the drive manufacturers and you may have to wait for a response.

If the clicking has stopped then you probably have nothing to worry about as said above by my team mate raptor pa.

If the clicking returns then it would most likely be the platters of the hard drive failing and the only way to resolve this is to take a drill and put it straight through the drive so no one can retireve any of your data. When the platters fail the drive is dying or dead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, it's not a "click" sound, but more the same sound the drive makes when it is loading up, only it happens once in a while, as in when I am playing a video game like Civilization IV.

What sort of sound should I even be looking for? A sound like a component tapping against the case? A sound like the clicking of a mouse? Like a clock? Like someone cracking their fingers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No, my drive(s) aren't making sounds anywhere close to any of those, in terms of volume or consistancy. It happens only every time I bring up a game and do something that causes it to load, such as, in this game, hitting End Turn or having a video clip play.

EDIT: Also, feel free to call me names and ridicule me for overreacting. I'm at least 70% sure this is not a serious issue, but just the fact that I put all the components into this new case myself makes me doubt the integrity of every piece of hardware I touched. It's just how I roll... Dude.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is definitely something that could be of a major truth. The plastic trays are some weird thing that can't ever be properly screwed in on one side without making it completely impossible to screw in the other side, or else be so tight that the plastic parts in the center get bent and warped up.

The case in question is this one:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810

The plastic trays in question are on the bottom portion of the tower

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well there's something wrong either with the harddrives, the plastic trays, or the screws I'm using, because there's no way I can screw the drives in tightly without one of the three things being abnormal (as in, the plastic things in the center getting squished, the harddrive being placed in crooked or wobbly, or the screws being put in half-way in, or put in loosely enough to wiggle)

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
are you using the screws that came with the case?

it could be a rare thing that you have a bad case that got out of the factory, you may have to widen the holes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The tray didn't come with screws in it---it had things that looked like screws, but were only just little metal rods, with rubber things over its round head. The types of screws I ended up using are the sort with hexagonal heads, merged onto a circular plate beneath it.

Actually, those things are in one of the pictures on that link I sent. No idea how they are supposed to work---I couldn't push them into the screw-holes easily, so I figured I'd need to use real screws.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
thats your problem you loosen those bits by putting pressure on them with your thumb for the first few goes you may need a screw driver and the same applies for when you tighten them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went and did that, but the sounds still happen. I'm very sure now it's just the computer doing it's usual stuff and loading when graphical things happen. It still stresses me out just hearing it.

It's almost completely inaudible with a TV on in the background, so I highly doubt it's of any harm

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.