Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, and thanks for looking at my thread :wink:

History
Im re-formating a laptop because apparently a virus deleted EVERYTHING on the harddrive.. you would start up the laptop, and it would just restart. I decided to reformat the laptop, shoved the cd in and reformated it (when it showed the partition, it showed that only 1mb was used on it :) ) I reformated it; NTFS.

Problem
This laptop is a Syntax laptop (no idea how old, 4, 5, 6 years im guessing?) Its a syntax GREEN 733. I have a linksys wireless adapter connected to the laptop to recieve my internet.. However, the laptop doesnt seem to recongnize the adapter, nor does it respond to it.....

the ethernet adapter
Is called: SiS 900-based PCI fast thernet adapter.

If anyone would know why (or have any idea) the laptop doesnt respond to the adapter. and knows whys, your help would be greatly appreciated :pray:

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi SpecialEffect,

You said its a laptop, then how can it be a PCI wireless adapter? Only PCs actually have PCI slots that you can put stuff into. Are you sure its not either a USB or PCMCIA wireless adaptor? Does it look like a thin rectangular card that you slot into the laptop?

If you go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager are there any items in the list with a yellow circle and black question mark?

I'm thinking you are simply missing the driver, because windows xp doesn't really come with an awful lot of drivers that just work. You should be able to find the driver on the manufacturer (linksys) website.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859840888&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4088837314B06&displaypage=download

The above website will have a lot of devices on it so you need to know what the device model number is. Usually it will start with a 'W'.

· Premium Member
5,172 Posts
According to the images you provided, the network adapter that was detected and is working is the ethernet (ie using cables) type, not wireless. If you look at the first image (device manager) there's a network adapter in there that has a ? by it. My guess is that's your wireless one. If you can, plug the computer in to your router using a network cable and then you should be able to get connected to the internet where you should be able to get the correct driver for your wireless card by going to the hardware maker's website. Is your wireless adapter built-in or an add-on card?

· Registered
11 Posts
You said that you installed windows from scratch. It looks like you have quite a bit of hardware that still does not have any drivers. This means that your sound wont work for example. You may need to either dig up a CD that came with the laptop or try to find the manufacturer website.

I think as a first step plug in an ethernet cable and try to connect to Windows Update or Microsoft Update (yeh, they are not quite the same thing).

If you are positive that your wireless adapter is a WPC54G then you can try the following. I can see that you have a folder on your desktop already with the drivers in it (i'm guessing WPC54G_driver_utility_1.3.1_dr)?

Once again go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and open up the "Other Devices" part.

Right click on "Network Controller" and click on "Update Driver ...".

Select "No, not this time". Click Next.
Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Click Next.
Select "Browse". Highlight the folder on the desktop (should be at the very bottom of the list) and then click OK.
Click Next.

It should now find something and either you will be able to select something or it will do it all automatically. Once you have this done it should be visible under "Network Adapters" and should not have an exclamation mark or question mark.

If all that fails then that is quite puzzling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.