Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Here's the problem. When i try to install any version of windows, during install, setup hangs or stops at random times and it never get past certain parts of setup. I'm using a PCCHips M810 motherboard with an athlon 1700 with 256MB ram. When i put the hardrive in another computer, windows setup works fine.
I'm thinking of setting up windows on another computer then putting the harddrive into this computer.

What i don't get is why the system hangs during installation. All the parts are brand new except ram and hardrive.

Thx

LoS

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
LoSRx7 said:
I'm thinking of setting up windows on another computer then putting the harddrive into this computer.
Bad idea unless your other computer is identical.

Have you tried upgrading BIOS? Or checked MOBO website for issues with the MOBO?

How many RAM sticks to do you have? You could pull one out to see if you can install with 128MB of good - if that doesn't work, swap the sticks, if it still doesn't work, probbably not bad RAM.

Windows setup also has a log file. You can go into that maybe to get an idea of what the problem is. I don't know how exactly, but you could research it or ask someone here.

S

·
0 Posts
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Then check all of your connections to make sure they are hooked up properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
I've updated the CMOS to its latest version. It's also using 1 stick of 256MB. I'm going to look around to find out how to check the windows install log. If anyone knows, let me know :) Thanks.

LoS

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
From your description, I'd have to say it's a hardware issue. You can start by removing everything but the video board and trying to do a bare-bones installation.

S

·
0 Posts
What version is your motherboard? It should be marked on the face of the board or in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.