Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have been getting a few computers in lately with some internet problems. Most are running either windows 98(both versions), and windows ME.

The computer will dial in fine. It will not see any websites. Not even through using the IP address.

You try and ping something and nothing. Go to a command prompt and run:
ipconfig /flushdns
and still nothing. Tried releasing and renewing, nothing.

New modem nothing.

Remove all of networking and dialup networking out of windows. Restart, and reinstall nothing.

Made sure its not set to use Proxy, and no firewall is running.

Scanned for viruses on both updated version of Mcafee and Norton. None.

In the past week, I've had about 4 computers doing this. Different ISPs, most running 98/98SE/ME. Usually either IE 5 or 5.5.

So far the only way to get rid of this is to format and reload, but I don't like that. Anyone got any ideas. The one I'm working on now is one for Comp-U-Serve.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
AOhelL installed ??:deveous:

Client has a problem (doesnt want to pay to fix it) Internet will not go anywhere unless AOHELL is running

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Also not all of them have any IM programs either. I think one had MSN, and another had ICQ or Yahoo, can't remember which.

Also tried running IE repair, deleting cookies, clearing cache, and going through and restored defaults for everything in IE.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the ones that upgraded to IE 5.5 I've rolled back to IE 5. I have not tried IE 6 yet. I think I might try that tomorrow. Although I'm not a fan of IE 6 on windows 98.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get a response from 127.0.0.1

I've also tried replacing wsock/wsock32/winsock files.

On the comp-u-serve one will get the ads in the begining but no website, and if you use a dial up account nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.