Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
For the past day, I have been busy deleting viruses and spyware clogging up my PC. Some notable ones (Klez and Bkdr_Netdevil) after re-booting last night on trying to fix some stuff, when it came back up after a I logged on. I had no start menu and no desktop icons. Just wallpaper. I am forced to run everything through the task manager.

All though I am thrilled this thing is finally virus free and going smoother, it would be nice to have a start menu.

One I logon, my PC makes a "beep" sound then takes a little longer to load, but when it does, as I say...no start menu, etc.

My OS is Windows XP. Dell Dimenison 2300 PC. explorer.exe is running under "Processes" in the task manager. I have re-booted several times. I cannot right-click on the wallpaper, almost like it's not even there. PC is running better than ever....but I am completely stumped on this one.

Any help appreciated...Thank You,
Jarrett

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there mate.
What you need to do, if possible is to find a copy of NetDevil, I know it has trojans on it but after you have finished using NetDevil you can remove them. Anyway download it and effectivly hack yourself and there is an option to hide/show start menu, just select that and your away. Hope this helps.

BarHopper

·
Registered
336 Posts
don't know if it would work but only takes a second to try...

boot and hit F8 like safe mode but choose...Last Known Working Configuration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had same virus and it does a lot of damage behind the scenes not just removing the start menu, fraid its a reinstall of windows but that is very hassle free as windows is already setup so you dont have to go through drivers installing and poduct activation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re-Install Windows

Thanks for the help. Is there a way to re-install Windows XP w/o having to back up all of my files on disks?
Thanks,
Jarrett

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes just boot of the cd *dont* choose repair anywhere, do a fresh installation just dont format the drive at the prompt, its usually a good idea to disable the passwords on you logon account and backup the documents and settings to a different folder on same hd before reinstalling because if something goes wrong during installation and they are passwod protected u wont be able to access them cos they ae encrypted. then just re password protect them when finished. you do this in the uses applet in control panel. and then you are home sweet home

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have XP pro and don't know if it works this way if others but if I choose to intstall normally I will get a message asking if I want to repair the present setup...this is not where you choose install, repair, exit. However, I only get that option when I don't need it and never when there is an actually problem...:upset:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have pro aswell, i have kinda fogotten how the install runs but will be doing it again tommorrow so ill reply again then. as far as i remember there are two places where u get asked this the first is just for the command prompt repair which isnt much use to u here. and the second is later and what it does is delete all the vital windows files and copies ove fresh copies. but with this virus if u do this u still are infected it works for some viruses and corrupted files though. arrrgh ill reply again soon

·
Registered
266 Posts
jmacgraph,
some viruses will mess up with the "explorer.exe" file,
located, of course, on C:\Windows\

•Turn on your pc
•press F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Up menu,
•choose "Safe Mode with command prompt", wait for
the logon screen and login with any user.
•on the DOS window, go to C:\Windows\
•Make 1 or 2 copies of explorer.exe (just in case)
•Get a working copy of explorer.exe (Same OS and version, of course) and replace yours.

That should take care of the Start Menu issue,

PD. Did you just say Viruses and SpyWarez?
I'd backup any important info and reinstall the OS,
since obviously your current installation is somehow corrupted
anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.