Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to play a cd or listen to downloads, no sound plays when using Mandrake 9. But I can when using Windows XP. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

·
Registered
711 Posts
It sounds like your soundcard is not being picked up correctly. Have you checked HardDrak and verified you're soundcard was found has a driver loaded for it?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try checking my thread!

It's called "Need Help with Linux" and I am also addressing my sound card, as well as a CD-RW. I already have my problem narrowed down (somewhat) and if you jump in there, you will see some things to try. Follow along and maybe we can help each other get our audio going. You may stumble across and post ideas that will help me and I may post stuff that may help you. In the meantime, try this: Try going to konsole and punching in "sndconfig" without the quotes. Post what that does in my thread. If it's anything like my problem, sndconfig will find your card (meaning Linux knows it's there), but will not play the sample correctly. It may warn you about running it under X, but I have seen little effect noticeable. You may want to compare your sound's output with mine. If it's the same, our problems are similar.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am able to listen to downloaded music using sound recorder. I had to go to sound preferrences and enable sounds, it was turned off by default when linux was installed. I still am unable to hear from cd. It will display the name of the cd and songs on it and says it is playing, but no sound. I checked out the thread, but it didn't help. I also went to Konsole and typed in sndconfig but it said command not found. I can hear alert sounds and downloaded music through my speakers, but not from cd and it recognizes the cd playing. HardDrake recognizes my sound card that is on my motherboard. Any further help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This one is probably easier cabana.. you just need to run the cabling from your cd player to your soundcard header, that will enable you to listen to CD's.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can you hear CDs under XP?

If not, that's what you need. Just run the cable from the back of your CD to the appropriate port on your sound card. That's how computers "listen" to CDs. My problem is that if I was to put a Korn CD in now (under Windows 98), I would hear it. If I try the same thing under Linux, it won't even know it's there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.