Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my predicament.. I've just formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows xp and now I have no sound. At first whenever I tried to run an audio file it gave me some error about no drivers having been installed.. so i googled the driver i needed because the resource disk that came with my dell wasn't extracting the driver properly, and after installed (and being unable to update) the drivers, i try to play sound. Now it would play the sound, I simply wouldn't hear it.. whereas before it would give me an error and not even play the file. So i've gone from being able to not be able to play any media with sound to being able to play the media, just not hear the sound.
I believe my motherbolard is onboard.. in fact im almost positive. It could have very posssibly gotten knocked loose during the period my computer was frying on me, and after some investigating I found that the heatsink retention unit had been snapped off and the clamp to hold the heatsink in place, gone.. so standing vertically the heatsink was not being pressed against the cpu, but now i've got it lying on its side so gravity's holding it down. I imagine the sound card could have been knocked loose as i'd carried it up and down stairs many times, and had to break into the heatsink/fan vent tube thing many times.
I could buy a cheap *** sound card to replace my stock onboard as I've heard even a$25 investment in asoundblaster is a nice improvement to a stock onboard sound driver, but A) I dont know if I'd have to remove the onboard card, and B) I dont know where the crap the sound card is located.

so... yeah long post sorry about that, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I get my sound back, im all ears.. all the volume has been checked, the subwoofer plugged into a working socket, speakers plugged in, and I went through the entire windows hardware troubleshooter without finding the answer to my problem..

oh yes, I've got a soundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.. dont have any further specs

edit-- another update. I'd disabled my sound device, and reenabled it and upon reenabling it, a yellow exclamation point shows up next to it's name in the device manager, and in the device manager it says "device cannot start (code 10)".. any info... anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind, solved the problem myself..

I just ininstalled then reinstalled the drivers from the device manager and with my resource disk.. problem solved. hope someone gets some use out of this someday :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.