Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything has been working fine with my computer forever and I have always had sound with no problem. Late last night I decided to stay up late and to not wake anyone else up I used a pair of headphones to listen to late night radio via the internet. The headphones worked great. When I was done for the night I turn the computer off per usual, though having unconnecting my headphones from the speakers.

This morning when I got up and turn my computer on I had no sound coming from my speakers. I do have sound from the headphones. I have no idea what is causing this and definitely have no idea how to fix it. Can someone here help please????

GQ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUH!!!!!

Of course they are already disconnected. Try again or were you trying to be funny? Thanks but no thanks. I see there is no real help here.

G

·
Didn't mean to offend you. There might have been a damage while plugging/unplugging. Do you have a chance to use other speakers ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Graphic Queen said:
DUH!!!!!

Of course they are already disconnected. Try again or were you trying to be funny? Thanks but no thanks. I see there is no real help here.
:rolleyes:
No reason to act that way Graphic Queen; that is one way not to get help.

Anyway, have you tried going into your sound settings just to make sure that it is set up for speakers? Perhaps something was jarred loose, in terms of a cable?

Are the speakers turned on? And don't "Duh", me on that one. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
PurpleSky said:
There might have been a damage while plugging/unplugging. Do you have a chance to use other speakers ?
This is entirely possible due to the design of the plug. Disconnecting the signal to the speaker when the headphones are used. If when the headphones are removed the plug leaves do not make contact then no speakers.
I have on one set of speakers accidentally turned the power off when unplugging the headphones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't have access to any other speakers. Is it possible that the speakers could be messed up yet the headphones still work since I plug the headphones in through the left speaker?

Yes, the speakers are turned on and I have gone into the sound setting opver and over agaon. I am baffled.

GQ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Graphic Queen said:
No, I don't have access to any other speakers. Is it possible that the speakers could be messed up yet the headphones still work since I plug the headphones in through the left speaker?

Yes, the speakers are turned on and I have gone into the sound setting opver and over agaon. I am baffled.

GQ
Graphic Queen, are you using a sound card, or are you using onboard sound? If you are using a sound card, try taking the sound card out, and plugging the speakers into your motherboard. That way you will see if the speakers are really damaged or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I plug the speakers into the motherboard? What do I look for?

Yes, I do have a soundcard --- Soundblaster 5.1 Live!!!

GQ

·
Registered
380 Posts
First- make sure the connection from the speakers to the back of the computer is good.

Then try uninstalling the driver for soundblaster card. Then restart the computer. The drivers should re-install. IF you have the drivers on a CD- then install those. Then try the speakers again.

I would ask how old the soundblaster card is? I had one that went relatively
quick on me. It had intermitent periods of no sound and did have low background noise. I removed it and used the regular on-board sound
and all was well.

Andy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I believe from this I do have sound from the headphones statement that the sound card is working. If it wasn't there would be no sound at all!!!!
That is why I would suspect the Stereo Jack in the speaker where she plugged the headphone's in to. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
hold on

ok, first , look at the speaker icon in the system tray by the clock.
(if its not there ,
goto START/CONTROL PANEL /
SOUNDS SPEACH AND AUDIO DEVICES/
SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES.
make sure there is a check next to PLACE VOLUME ICON IN THE TASKBAR.)

is the little speaker muted?
if so left click and unmute.
not that? then..

right click on the volume icon
choose ADJUST AUDIO PROPERTIES
now, under SPEAKER SETTINGS click on the ADVANCED BUTTON,
under the SPEAKERS tab make sure pc speaker is selected in the dropdown.

im POSITIVE its not much harder than that !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.