Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I don't really know how all this works but I've been having some problems with my computer. As stated in the title I cannot get my speakers to work and my computer restarts every time I insert a CD of any kind(well not actually right when I insert it, but when I try to perform any task that has to do with the CD while it is in). The speakers worked fine for the longest time and then they suddenly just quit working. But then I noticed the headphones worked, but then eventually they didn't even work. The restarting issue has been a problem even before the speakers and it seems to have got worse. They use to work good, then it would restart sometimes, now it restarts every time I try to do anything related to a CD after it is inserted(like burning or listening or even downloading software from a CD). A technician looked at my computer and was sure it is a virus(the restarting) but I have Anti-Virus software and when it checks for Viruses it says my computer is clean and protected, so I don't really understand.:sigh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, there are 2 yellow ! one is next to Dell A920 and another is next to SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. There are no red X's.

MODEL=Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4600i
System Service Tag: 90X6V31 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 90X6V31
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

OPERATING SYSTEM(is that "make?")=Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I just assumed you meant download all the audio drivers it had which were 4 so I tried doing that, but the first download link I clicked on it brought me to a page that said "The Webpage was not found" so I don't know what to do from here...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
First thing to do here:

1. Unplug the usb cable running from the printer to the pc. (leave the power cord i
connected to it, but have printer turned off for now.
2. go into add/remove and uninstall the printer driver and software
3. delete all the driver files you downloaded from dell since yesterday.

Go here and download the audio driver: (first one under audio).
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...temID=DIM_P4_4600&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Go here for the printer driver and software: (download all 3 files)
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=-1&hidos=WLH&TabIndex=&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A920

1. Install the audio driver, and after it completes, reboot pc
2. At the desktop again, check device manager and see if the sound driver installed correctly. proceed if it did,

Go here for directions on installing the printer driver and software:
http://support.dell.com/support/top...sn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&dn=FA1093020#2

After installations are done with the drivers here, check device manager again and see if theres any yellow ! marks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to both links and clicked on the download links you suggested but they still send me to a page that either says "Webpage was not found" or "Webpage is not available" or something of that nature.:4-dontkno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the virus forum and they told me to use a different browser like Internet Explorer to download the drivers so I did and it worked! Now my sound works, but I still have the restarting problem...I tried researching this issue and I found the cause could be PSU, but I don't really know...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It could also be a heat issue, since you are not getting any BSOD`s.

get a can of compressed air and blow out the fans and inside the case
with it, if it looks dirty or dusty, see if this helps?
before we go jumping to the psu.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.