Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new here. I decided this would be a good spot to get some answers. Here's my problem: my main computer started locking up a lot and I found out it was overheating since the fan on my power supply wasn't turning on. I got a new power supply and installed it (Atec 400W for an Athlon processor) and now I'm having some odd problems (note: I was having these before the power supply swap). When I turn on my comp for the first time during the day or after it's been off for a while, everything turns on but the monitor says "no signal." I have to power off and on a few times to get that to work. Any ideas what could be causing that problem? And if so, any solutions? Thanks for your time everyone.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here is the problem...before we proceed...how old is the computer...Heat -like static electricity can cause damage that is unseen to the human eye...the amount of time and $$ might not be worth it...vs a new system

with that said...does the computer come on at all?
If so when it come up right click my computer and go to proerties and select devices and reove the video card....restart ...does windows find it...does it reinstall properly....

Open the case and look for obvious damage...if there is an obvious burn or warp the the device is beyond saving....if you dont see anything remove everything (cable plugs cards) and put them back in (called reseatting them) lose connection can wreck havoc as well

While the case is open check the other fan make sure they are spinning...carefully touch the CPU fan ..it should stop then pick up speed (be careful) but it shouldt slow after you let it go

are there any beeps on bootup...if you have the speaker in the PC you should hear a singel beep....

Check these out and post back:bandit:

Welcome to the boards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I tried a few things and here are the results: nothing, basically. I reseated every single card and connection and checked for physical damage. That's all fine and it does the same thing.

It will turn on, it's just that with a cold boot it takes a few resets to get it to display on the monitor. Every once in a while it will lock up and make a screeching type noise. If I get the comp up to windows, and go to restart, it works fine every time; it's just the cold boot.

As for the video card drivers, it will still install correctly. I formatted recently and all componants reinstalled fine (except for one of my network cards because I have seperate drivers for that which I haven't installed yet).

Well, I'll take any other advice or ideas you all have.

I got the comp May 2001 btw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm not positive on how to do it for this mobo. (btw, I got this comp from Gateway and they gave no manual that shows the mobo and where it's located, I would have done that by now)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.