Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just bought a Radeon 9550, and I have it connected to my HannsG HW191D widescreen monitor via a new DVI cable. I did have it connected to my old graphics card (FX5700) via VGA with no problems at all.
So in the new setup when I switch the computer on the screen fires up fine, and shows the POST screen. However when the machine reaches the logon screen the screen shows "no signal, check cable". The only way I can get it to switch on is by unplugging the cable, and plugging it back in again. It's then fine until I switch the computer off again.
What is going on, I'm so confused. :sigh:
Thanks
James

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
did you uninstall all the nvidia drivers before installing the ati from safe mode with a/virus disabled while you did the install

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I uninstalled the nvidia drivers before I installed the ATI ones. I did not do it in safe mode, but I did it once I had already removed the nvidia card. Ie the ATI card was physically installed, but had no drivers installed.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
reinstall them
uninstall from add and remove reboot tapping f8 and choose safemode
when windows finishes rebooting if it asks to install drivers choose no
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
if you have a dvi to vga adapter try it with the vga cable
the lcdtv i connected yesterday will noy run the computer on screen from dvi only vga
the dvi connection is for dvd players ect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I've done all that and I still have the problem. However I have discovered that it is the Catalyst Control Centre causing the problem. With just the driver installed it works 100%, as soon as I installed the control centre, back to square 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, that was an incorrect conclusion. In fact the problem is still evident even without the control centre.
When I install the driver in safe mode (after having used driver cleaner pro, as well as add.remove programs, just to be sure) and reboot it works first time as it should. However on every subsequent reboot or shutdown.startup the problem is back.
It isn't a problem with the monitor, becase when using a generic display driver it starts up with DVI no problems.
It must be to do with the radeon drivers.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
switch back to the nvidia card and check there is no problem with it
the ati9550 and the nvidia5200 were competing against each other,why did you go backwards from the 5700 to the 9550

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, I can't do that here, long story but basically because the fan on the 5700 had started to make a very loud noise and was very irritating. I happened to have the 9550 handy just before i left for university. I'm going home this weekend, perhaps I'll take the card home and swap it. Any recommendations for a good, qiuet 5700 cooler?
James

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, any difference between that and the NV Silencer 6? Both state they are for 5700 cards, although the 2 specifies ultra. The card is an Asus V9570 TD 256MB.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
just found it on a search i have never bothered changing a fan on a video card so don't know much about them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.