Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my 1st post and I have a problem I cannot figure out. A while back I broke a pin off my processor and I had to send it to get fix. While the processsor was getting fixed I had to use my old motherboard and processor. So I just got back the processor a few days ago and it is good as new. Last night I went to shut down windows and then went to bed. This morning I wake up and my comp is still on. The monitor light is now orange (It is green when active) I tired to hold down my power switch for a while and my computer does not turn off. I have to flip the switch on the power supply for it to go off. I have never Had this problem before I could hold the power button in for about 10 secs and my comp would power off. When I started my computer again I pushed the power button for about a minute and my monitor goes from green to orange but my computer lights and fans are still on. If anyone knows how to help I would appreciate it so much thank you.
oh yeah! you guys prolly want to know my os: MS WIN XP SP2
Please reply ASAP!
also my computer can restart perfectly fine. please reply, I dont want to reformat

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
While the processsor was getting fixed I had to use my old motherboard and processor.
did you put the new motherboard and cpu back in the same original operating system?

try popping the battery out for 30 minutes after you unplug the machine.
if you are able to achieve a windows desktop after, go in power options and choose "never" on everything in regards to shutting down.

make sure the fan is secure to the cpu....did you use artic 5?

post back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is the same orginal os. Should I reformat anyways since I put the motherboard and processor in my comp before reformating? some one once told me if you are putting a new mother board and processor in your comp you dont need to reformat. that is what I did in this case. Everything works fine except shutting down. My fan is very secure to the cpu, the temp idles around 25-30c. This is geting me so mad. I am woundering if I should just reformat.Please if you think you know what is wrong reply asap. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG i reformated just now and the problem is still there!!!!!! what does this mean?????????? sometimes when i restart my comp it dont work either now!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
under most circumstances, a format is necessary on a motherboard change. if the info is vital that you might lose, grab another hard drive and re install the op system on that, and then slave the existing unit onto that, to pick off your info.
post back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already remformated it is still not powering down. The power button still will not work when I try to hold it to power off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when my comp trys to shut down it closes everything and logs off and the monitor turns off as if the comp completey shuts down. If i hit the reset button(above the power button) the computer then restarts right away. I dont know whats going on. I am almost ready to give up, I already reformated and have no clue where to go next.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When you shut down after the screen goes blank, can you hear the fans and hard drive spinning?

I can't think of anything else you can do at this point. Maybe reset the CMOS or it could be a bad mobo. Have you checked to make sure that the cable from the power switch is correctly connected to the mobo?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes the fans are spinng, i dont know about the hard drives, but the hard drive light is off when I try to shurt down and my screen goes blank. I guess know one knows how to fix this............. :dead:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
check the power options in your control panel...choose "never" to everything, hybernation, hard drive shut down, everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just noticed somthing. I dont know if this helps but I find it very werid. To turn off my computer I need to flip the switch in the back of my power supply. When the comp is off and I flip the switch in the back of my power supply to "on" my computer comes on!! I dont even need to press the power button in the front of my case. What does this mean, now I am assuming hardware, but what are your guys opinion????????

·
Registered
105 Posts
hmmm... odd problem... open ur pc up and see if the power button stuff is attached to ur motherboard . and ring those pc guys up and ask them wat ddi thay do and find the instructions to ur motherboard and see if everythin connected is right. and right click ur desktop , go to properties. then screensaver. then power. then go on advanced. and see

when i press the powerbutton on my computer
put shut down
and when i press the sleep button on my computer
hibernate..
if that all dont work.. i duno..i wont give up...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
the leeds from the switch/reset wires coming from the case to the motherboard might have got crossed in the motherboard swap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
phubeone said:
I can't think of anything else you can do at this point. Maybe reset the CMOS or it could be a bad mobo. Have you checked to make sure that the cable from the power switch is correctly connected to the mobo?
whosdat said:
the leeds from the switch/reset wires coming from the case to the motherboard might have got crossed in the motherboard swap.
These are the only left to do, I can't think of anything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.