Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did see one thread about disappearing drivers in a laptop, this is a little similar. This machine now has win98 on c:, 2000 adv server on D:, and 2000 pro on E:. Pro was on C: (my mistake)then removed, to install win98 on c: the partition was reformatted, MBR warning popped up (with warning noise). With c: blank a start up disk was used to gain access to CD drive and run install, seemed to go OK. Used "CD PRO" disc from M/B to install drivers, after restart "success message" appears. Still no PCI devices "!" in device manager (3 places). Also the software says to manually install driver for "PCI mass storage" device which does not appear in D manager. Tried several times to no avail, sometimes when adding manually I see the path to the file and itsays it is done but on restart, its gone. Did the boot disk make a default MBR? Should I have run fdisk /mbr? Any hints to reinstall it?:confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PnP is enabled as you say, and the other two OSs on the machine seem to have no problems with any of the PCI devices. On some occassions win98 detects them, searches for drivers and says it can't find them, other times, finds installs, I restart and it's like they self deleted. I scanned the drive also, no errors.:no:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
REPLACE THE POWER SUPLLY...did I mention that you should replace the power supply???:winkgrin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But for real, could it be, having made the 98 boot disk on another machine have done it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aye captin, I'm rippin it out..all of it.. and starting again.. dam the torpedos!:angry2:

This 98 installed has a flaw...the drive is gittin the boot...or the fdisk more like.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.