Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old MB tanked, so I just ordered an ASUS P5WD2.

I am an "old schooler", in that I am very familiar with PCs (up to about 3 years ago). I am not quite sure about these "new fangled" M/Bs and all of the stuff on them.

I currently have a SuperMicro MB with 2 HDs on IDE-1, a CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM on IDE-2. Where does this leave me with this new board?

Would you guys suggest getting an SATA drive for C:? How does this react with the old IDEs? I understand they are different connectors, but it seems like this board only has one IDE port, and that would have to be used by the CD and DVD.

I know I could probably put in a Promise IDE board for HDs, but I am curious on how S-ATA works.

Also, in looking at the drives, what is the difference between SATA and SATA 150. I assume the "150" is a faster drive.

Sorry for the "cluelessness". I've been out of the "loop" for a while.

THANKS

:-jon

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Are you sure it only has one ide connector? I looked at specs, looks like
it has 2 ide ports. I may be missing something. Imho sata is not that great
of a thing, unless you are going to configure a raid array. Regular ide drives
will co habitate with sata drives. As far as speed goes, in order to acheive
ata150 the drives must be in a raid array. I could be mistaken on that, but
I'm pretty sure. Looks like a pretty good board. Im sure you will get more
input.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It has 2 IDE connectors, and a floppy.

You should be able to run your old IDE's and a new SATA drive if you wish, you'll just have to poke around in the BIOS to enable the SATA option, and you should be able to format it from there or in My Computer if you want to run your old hard drives.

As for the ATA vs SATA, i'd go with the SATA. SATA's draws less power, are faster than an ATA drive (133mb/sec as opposed to 150mb/sec, and 300mb/sec for SATA II), have smaller cables allowing for more airflow inside the case and better "custom" installs, the cables can be run further than ATA cables, and they can be hot swapped. Granted hot swapping isn't probably high on your list, it's something ATA can't do.

Sure, ATA has been around and it's probably not going anywhere, but SATA is here to stay and it will be more and more the standard as time goes by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.