Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is if you unplug the computer from the surge protecter it takes a while for it to boot up again. First their is no power to anything, then after a bit the fans on the cpu and the psu will try to spin and the number lock and the cap lock lights on the key board flash. Now if you power down normally it will do the same thing if you try to restart with the on button about half the time. The little green led on the mobo is lit when nothing else works or the fans and lights try to run but won't. I checked the voltages on the power supply and they checked out okay while it was running with a multi meter. What should the voltage reading be for the green power supply on wire. I checked it when the computer would not start and it was climbing slowly in tenth of a volt increments. It was a little over three volts. If anyone has any thoughts on what could be wrong I would appreciate any info. Computer info is below, if you need to know anything else about it just ask.

VPR Matrix 6100
XP Home
2.53 gig Intel P4
Intel board D845EBT
WD 120 gig hard drive
2 dvd rw
GeForce FX 5600 video card
300 watt FSP Group psu

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
welcome
do you have access to a known, good working power supply? a bit larger than 300 watts hopefully?
make sure your supply is free of dust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't, the only one I have access to is 250 watts. It is in my Mom's computer and I checked the power on voltage on it and it was right at five volts. Since I have been trying to find the reason for this the last couple of days I think I read somewhere it needed to be close to five volts ideally. Am I looking at needing a new power supply? If I do I was looking at an Antec Basiq 500 watt. Would that be too much? I have been looking through a lot of forums for this and they seem to be well liked and dependable from what I have read about them. I don't know enough about this but I am learning as I need to, and I don't know anybody I can ask. I appreciate any help or thoughts you can offer.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
500w will run your PC nicely, but I would not recommend the Antec Basiq series. The Antec Earthwatts series is much better and you can get the 500w unit for $35 after rebate right now from Newegg with free shipping. A very good deal. (Rebate is good until 12/10/07)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up my mobo on intel's website and it says I have to be 1.2 compliant. Does that mean that I have to have the -5 wire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I was not sure. I know enough about these things to probably just make a bigger mess. Thanks for the help and the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.