Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm building a new computer but the computer isn't showing anything in my monitor. My specs are:
MSI 870A-G54 motherboard
Gskill 2X4GB 1300 DDR3 Ram
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4 GHz Processor
MSI Radeon HD 6850
650 GB western digital HD
Rosewill RV2-700 700W

I have tried a different Video card but it still doesn't post anything. When I turn it on everything seems to be working, all of the fans are spinning and all of the lights are on. The weird thing is that I can't turn the PC off by holding the power button, I have to turn it off by cutting the power off directly from the PSU. Any ideas??

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
It is possible you have the Mobo shorted to the case. Did you use on standoff (no more- no less) for every mounting hole in the Mobo?
It is not uncommon for 4GB RAM sticks to have issues also.
Rosewill PSU's are basically junk so that would be my first suspicion.
Do you have or can you borrow a god quality 650W or better PSU to try?
Is is also a very good idea to assemble and test on the bench before installing the hardware in the case.

Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! Im gonna try the bench test and see if its the case. Unfortunately i don't have any extra DDR 3 ram or another AM3 cpu to test those out but my bro is gonna let me borrow his PSU. Im actually thinking it might be the mobo, from what I have been reading this has happened a lot with this specific mobo :/

·
Registered
29 Posts
First thing I would check is that you have the power switch plugged up correctly, that might take care of that problem.
Next to diagnose the video problem. Try removing one of the memory sticks (also while your at it pull both & just reset them). Have you tried a different monitor (if available). When you say it doesn't post anything are you not hearing any beeps from the motherboard when you turn it on (I'm assuming you hooked up the motherboard speaker)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing I would check is that you have the power switch plugged up correctly, that might take care of that problem.
Next to diagnose the video problem. Try removing one of the memory sticks (also while your at it pull both & just reset them). Have you tried a different monitor (if available). When you say it doesn't post anything are you not hearing any beeps from the motherboard when you turn it on (I'm assuming you hooked up the motherboard speaker)?
Hey. Well the Power switch is plugged in correctly and i have messed around with the Ram slots. I have tried all possible combinations that i could think of. Unfortunately my mobo didnt come with a build in speaker so i does not beep. I have tried different monitors and they either dont show anything or say that no signal was detected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.