Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I just built a system and it does absolutely nothing when powered up. The fans come on and reset works... but there are no system beeps to tell me what's up and there is no video signal. I have 712 MB PC 333 ram (samsung), Geforce 4 4600, athlon XP 2.1, ASUS A7V333 mobo... oh, and a 400W power supply. So what the hell:no: Please write back and tell me what you think. Oh, one thing I might note is that my memory does not snap into place. I pushed them in (I have a 512 and 256 stick) and they only go in to a certain point. The manual said the locks should snap into place, and these do not... they dont do anything. I pushed pretty hard and wiggled the DIMM and it didnt seem to be able to go any furthar into the slot though...:confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Your on the right track with the memory....where did you get it...memory is not a struggle....it should fit snug and snap in...make sure (this sounds dumb but happens) it is not backwards in the slots...also make sure the processor is seatted...as a matter of fact check all the cards....remove all but the video so we can run out....other problems

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got power

Hey. I got power to my system. It was the ram, I just didnt know how hard to push... I took it out about 50 times thinking something was wrong. Then I decided to try one side at a time and that worked. BUT... now I have a new problem. My BIOS is all scrambled. The words are like half there... i.e. Hard Drive appears something like H^^D ^IVE. Also, it locks up all the time... BLAH!! Is is common or what? Could it have passed some EMI during shipping? And most importantly, is it 100% fixable?... Im going to flash the bios and see if that works... hmmm:no:

G

·
Welcome to Tech Support Forums Djembeplay..............:D

Try clearing the CMOS the instructions are in the manual on where and how to do this.

You should only flash if absolutely needed, Have you ever flashed a bios before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BIOS

No, I have never flashed a BIOS before, although there are instrustions on how to do this in the manual. As for clearing the CMOS... I dont see anything on it. How could by BIOS get all messed up like this? If I get it fixed, will it then be 100% operational, or is this a hardware failure in which I should send my MOBO back...:confused: When I start up the system... the ASUS A7V333 comes up, but then it immediately goes to the bios without me pressing delete. By default it asks me what I want me CPU speed to be: 1300, 1700, or manual. I am trying to choose 1700 because that is the FSB of the athlon 2100+, but it freezes every time I try it. Also, the words are hardly readable because they seem to be scrambled. Common or no? :no:

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had kinda the same prob your having with your graphics.you go in bios and every couple letters are missing,if thats the case sorry to say but your GF4 Ti4600 is F#$ked.take it back where you got it and get a new card.
Javelin

G

·
AMD Athlon XP processor 2200+ operates at a frequency of 1.8GHz.
AMD Athlon XP processor 2100+ operates at a frequency of 1.73GHz.
AMD Athlon XP processor 2000+ operates at a frequency of 1.67GHz.
AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ operates at a frequency of 1.6GHz.
AMD Athlon XP processor 1800+ operates at a frequency of 1.53GHz.
AMD Athlon XP processor 1700+ operates at a frequency of 1.47GHz.

I'll download the manual and get back to you........:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wait a tic on the whole Memory and Flash thing.

This exact same thing happened to me, and this may help you. Check your hard drive jumper settings, and make sure that it's set up for Master or Slave, and done so properly, and NOT on Cable Select.

Try this, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Scary though....hope you didnt push TOO hard...!!!

Flash .....usally....not all the time but usally....download on a system and run it...it will look for a formatted disk...give it one....when disk is done put it in the flashie(system to be flashed) system....boot to it and follow the prompts...*WARNING* -although if it is not the right one...chances are it will not run on your system....but make sure it is the right one and not a guess....youll nuke your M/B by making that mistake!!... oh you can get the flash from the M/B side under support or drivers

G/L

·
Registered
33 Posts
Javelin said:
i had kinda the same prob your having with your graphics.you go in bios and every couple letters are missing,if thats the case sorry to say but your GF4 Ti4600 is F#$ked.take it back where you got it and get a new card.
Javelin
We may have very well overlooked this little statement. It's Javelin's response to the BIOS scramble issue. This may very well be the problem (I was under the impression there was NO video whatsoever, silly me), and it would make plenty of sense. Video cards have a tendency to bonk a system completely (I've seen it happen with GF4s before too, just not like that) when they're faulty.

Try another vid card? I'm soooo confused...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speedo-
Ya, my ram is good... is samsung. As for the external freq. jumpers... they are by default set to off so the bios can take care of them. You guys think I need to send the MOBO back?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I'd recommend finding a friend. A friend who happens to have an El-Cheapo video card (those work really well, less thingies to go wrong, but an El-Nice-O will work just as well), and swap that for your GF4.

If your RAM is fine, there are only two things left that could be VERY odd.

a) BIOS, Mobo stuff
b) GeForce

The reason being that video is garbled.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, get this: I swapped my old TNT2 in, and the video was not garbled any more. Therefore, some ******* sold me a DOA card. Next, with my TNT2 in, My BIOS freezes all the time... system hangs, and I cannot change the power of my processor because it freezes. An athlon 2100 is supposed to run at 1733 FSB... yet, every time i do manage to somehow avoid the system hang and switch it to the 1733 setting, the system will not post at all... it just sits there... like a large, annoying pimple on my ***... sorry, but I am very frustrated... now I have to send my Vid card back to the guy I bought it from on EBAY and my MOBO/ processor/ heatsink because i have no idea what is wrong. How do I know if my memory is still good? BLAH!!!! Good call on the graphics card prediction BTW...:angry2: :upset:

·
Registered
33 Posts
1733 FSB? Holy mother of... well buddy, you just set a record.

I'm guessing you're talking about a different figure, or you put the wrong number in.

Could somebody around here help him? My guess is either he's running some system's bus too fast, or is missing a jumper, or something like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, no, i'm sorry. I meant 1733 MHZ. The CPU multiple was at 13 and the bus frequency was at 133. I am going to send the board back to ASUS. I think it is bad. It probobly isnt the processor, right? Anyways, every time I try to post is freezes and I cannot change the frequency. Blah. Thanks for the help guys. Oh, my VID card is bad also. I am hoping MSI will exchange me a good one also. lata-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah, see, yah, you were confusing us, but hey, that happens to me a lot. Im easily confused.

Good luck with your return.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what do i need to do to return to manufacturer? I dont want to go through my reseller. Can I just say I am a reseller or something?... hmmm :bandit:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.