Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

After trying to upgrade my RAM my computer does nothing. When I first inserted the 2 bars he gave 1 long beep. So I removed the new bar, and just inserted my old back in.
Now my bootscreen was all scrambled up so I couldn't see what he was doing. I've decided to clear my CMOS. When I started the computer, something was burning .. I instantly cut down the power, checked everything, but there was nothing damaged at first sight. CPU looks fine too.

Now when i start my computer the only thing that runs are my fans. What can be the cause ?

Edit:
Is it possible to insert the jumper of the cmos upside down ? Cause when I turned the jumper around, there was no more smell ;)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
do you have an AGP card and would it have been moved a little out of line in it's slot? when you were trying the new RAM.

i don't think the jumper can be placed upside down because all it does is make a connection between 2 pins. as for no more burning - well maybe the burning is finished and the damage done. the damage might not be obvious either.

with just the fans spinning and nothing else powering up then it sounds like one of the primary components are gone. the CPU, motherboard or the AGP card. these things are tested first and if they are not working generally you get nothing - not even the fans spinning. it could be the PSU, but i'd imagine that to be just coincidence with what you were doing.

you are certain that it was the CMOS jumper you set to clear and not another one on the motherboard?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
pull the m/b out and check for signs of any damage,check the sockets for any sign of discolouration
if you don't have another p/s see if you can borrow one to swap in to check if it is the problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.