no sound onboard
device manager good
uninstalled and reinstalled drivers downloaded from ECS and VIA
sound enabled in bios
swaped out cd rom drive, data cables, video card with known good hardware
enabled sound in bios and added a good sound blaster card
removed all unnecessary hardware

When I open media player I get this

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

Here's Belarc info on my system Thanks for any help I'ts probably something simple like unchecking mute lol.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) VIA Technologies, Inc. KT333-8235
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon proswssor
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: KT333-8235
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/18/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
33.81 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
25.62 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148
TEAC CD-W54E [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (33.82 GB) -- drive 0, s/n E1CFW2ME, rev NAR61590, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 33.81 GB 25.62 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n HMCTB01719, November 2002)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
Communications Other Devices

IEEE 802.11g PCI Wireless Network Adapter #3
Physical Address:
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

USB Human Interface Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Root Hub (4x)

·
Registered
290 Posts
look to see if you windows sound service in enabled.. that may be it..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

This may be a clue to help you get going:
added a good sound blaster card removed all unnecessary hardware
While I see that you have onboard sound, I see that you added a new card. I suspect you did not follow the proper way to install the new card. First of all, you have to decide if you want the onboard sound (AC97) or the sound blaster. Then, steps need to be taken to install your new one if that is what you want to do.

Therefore, when you installed your new card, did you go in and disable (not delete) the onboard sound? Did you load the drivers from your motherboard disk? When you stated you removed all unneccesary hardware, what did you remove and how did you remove it?

These basics should help us to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spriggan43 I tried that but still get this
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Tumbleweed36 for your respone. Sorry I don't think my first post was very clear, the issue is that I have no onboard sound. And when I try to play a music file media player gives me this message
My onboard sound is enabled in the bios and I did install the sound drivers from the cd that came with the mainboard. I don't want to add a sound card I only tried adding one just to see if the sound would work that way and it did not I just get the same message so I've removed the sound card.
I removed a wireless nic card by uninstalling the drivers in device manager then phisically removing the card from a pci slot hoping this would free up a IRQ but there are no IRQ conflicts so not sure why I did that just trying anything at this point.
Boo

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well, if your onboard sound is default, its drivers are good and the sound card (and drivers) are out of the picture for the time being, might be a Windows Media Player issue.

In the run box type dxdiag and see if you can get sound from those tests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I've taken so long to recap. To make a long story short I downloaded the sound drivers from the motherboard manufacturers (ECS) web site and installed them nothing,
reformated/restored hard drive and installed sound drivers again nothing, restarted and installed sound drivers again and finally SOUND. Think I'll try and avoid ECS motherboards for awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.