Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my PC starts up, MSN Messenger pops up with a screen with news on it, a mailbox, etc., etc. How do I disable MSN Messenger? I think I have a small situation with an easy solution. I just cannot figure it out.

S

·
0 Posts
Click Start > Run , and in the Open: box type the following command (press OK when done):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

You can just copy/paste the command above in the Open: box from the Run command.

Only do this if you DO NOT want Messenger on your system.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weirdest thing..... I got rid of (at least, I thought I did) MSN Messenger by pasting the command into the "Run" box. However, when I restart my computer (I've done it now three times) the MSN Messenger and Welcome boxes continue to pop up. I've even tried to delete Messenger again and I get a message saying "MSN Messenger is not installed on this computer." Huh? Then why is it appearing whenever my PC is restarted? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Try this and see if it shows up in there.................:D

You can also uninstall Windows Messenger by opening the sysoc.inf file in the \windows\inf folder and finding the line
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
Delete the word hide from the line, then save the file. An option to remove Windows Messenger will then be available in the Control Panel Add/Remove Windows Components applet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's baaaack...

I have used both the "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" command, and the "hide" technique. Both work...temporarily, it seems. Every few days Windows grows a brain and reinstalls Messenger from somewhere, anyway. Like the Terminator...you can't seem to kill it.

Am I possibly doing something wrong, or is there yet another way to permanently eradicate this pest?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Adobe launches Messenger Install

Someone sent me a PDF as an attacment, and when I double-clicked on it Windows Installer installed Messenger 5.0. I used "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" but it happened again when I double-clicked the PDF icon. Bill Gates will not be denied!

Any ideas???????

·
Registered
10 Posts
my computer has been doing the same thing. It really pisses me off that I uninstall messenger, and a week later its back again. I run the new version of messenger, version 6.2. But when the computer starts it keeps logging into the old version that was imbedded into windows, and a minute later logs into the new version that I downloaded. Then I have two versions fighting over each other... I uninstall the old version, so everything works fine for a week, and then all of a sudden it just shows up again and i have to uncheck the box again in windows components and uninstall the POS>. *** is wrong with microsoft. They just refuse to sell people a product that's finished, they knowingly sell people a product that they know is far from ready and then when they think they have most of the bugs fixed, they repackage it into a new name and sell it again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.