Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
I have a custom built pc and recently the pc started to just shut down automatically. Now, the pc runs but there is no display on the monitor. I have tried a new graphics card and i have tried to reset CMOS settings but neither of these helped.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jacko

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
did it shut down completely or reboot
post your system specs including the power supply details

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that the pc runs with no display on the monitor.
Im have the Asus A8n-SLI board
Amd Athlon 64 3200+
2x512mb corsair valueselect memory
80gb SATA HDD
some 256mb graphics card i cant remember about.
And a 450W PSU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm...
i am not convinced this is the problem as the system seems to power up just without the diagnostic beeps. And the system was working for a year and a half previously.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Try it anyway. What have you got to lose foxy? :D

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if it was
video card
ram
h/d ect you would receive bios beeps and or a bsod
no beeps everything running=power

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
cannot find the specs listed,one review said it was great the other said the opposite
recheck any aux power leads required are seated properly
try it with the basics connected
cpu
ram
video

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok tried it with cpu, video and ram. Same results. Although now there is a short noise from the cd drive when booting up but still no beeps.

Motherboard fault?

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Try reseating your Graphics card and if that doesn't work try using a "simple" PCI graphics card in a PCI slot to see if you get a display. Also check your mobo for possible swollen capacitors.
If possible also check your Monitor on another PC to see if you get a display.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
how can there be a noise from the cd,when in basic connections of
video
ram
cpu
speaker
are all that is connected

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the noise is made when optical drives are connected. i will look for swollen capacitors tonight. is it possible to fix these by some simple soldering? thanks

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
the noise is made when optical drives are connected. i will look for swollen capacitors tonight. is it possible to fix these by some simple soldering? thanks
is it possible to fix these by some simple soldering? ..NO!

Patience to heat up and remove the solder from the pins before you try to remove the capacitor or you may remove connections inside the printed board .. Motherboards are manufacturerd in several layers with tracks running around in between layers. Also there is a power layer and a ground layer that require a lot of heat to melt the solder. These copper layers act as heatsinks removing the heat as soon as it is applied.
Patience because if you remove the pin from the hole before you have cleared the hole from solder then you may not get another easy chance to open the hole up again. I have sat for ages trying to "assist" a capacitor leg to go through a blocked hole because I didn't have proper soledring desoldering equipment at hand.
it needs a very good desoldering system to do this job, preferably using a system with vacuum pump and temperature controlled tips.
Anything else and limited experience of soldering could result in a new motherboard being required.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.