Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a very difficult time getting either wireless router to work (i.e. connect to the internet). I've tried my older D-link DI-624 Airplus G and my new Netgear Rangemax Next N router, but both are giving me the same problem. I have a cable modem through Comcast that works fine when I plug it in directly to my computer. However, when I plug the cable modem into the router, it fails to obtain an IP address and doesn't connect to the internet. I can login to the router without any problems and I have tried manually entering all the information (IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DNS servers, etc), but still get no connectivity (although all the lights are functioning and blinking indicating there is connectivity). I have tried switching the cable from the modem to the router from a normal ethernet cable to a crossover cable, same result. I've contacted Comcast and their only support is to make sure the power on sequence is correct (turn everything off, wait two minutes then turn on the cable modem, after it's receiving a signal then turn on router and finally turn on PC). I don't have to enter any login information to access the internet, and Comcast doesn't require a MAC address for the account either. I am able to login to the wireless network that the router provides via my laptop (also running windows XP) as a home network (so it sees my desktop PC with no problems), but it too fails to be able to access the internet. I can ping the router using either the desktop PC or the laptop, but get timeouts when I try pinging an "outside" address. I have reset the router to default settings, and I've tried moving the LAN cable connecting the desktop PC to any of the 4 available ports - all the same unconnected result. I've also ensured that no firewalls are turned on with either computer. Please advise....as I'm at the end of the troubleshooting that I can think of. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Please supply the following info, the make and model of the cable modem.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.
When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got an RCA model DCM425 cable modem through Comcast, and here's what I get with the Ipconfig command:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : tassadar
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.nm.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.nm.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-FC-A0-97-98
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.18.94.54
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.18.94.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.66.10
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 01, 2007 6:11:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:11:28 PM

I powered everything on in the sequence as you suggested....but I get the same result - a home network where the computers can see eachother, but no access to the internet...

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Are you using a known good cable between the router and the modem? Since you have a good modem and computer, and you've tried two routers, we're running out of options.

Did you check the WAN status page of either of these routers to see what it said about the Internet connection?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed the problem to my cable modem. I had a friend hook my wireless router up to his setup at home and it worked flawlessly, but he's got a different cable modem. So I'm returning my Netgear and bought a combo Linksys cable modem/switch/wireless router - hopefully I can get that up and running finally!!

Thanks for your help though :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.