Tech Support banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,092 Posts
No, don't worry about SFC. Go to Network & Sharing Center>>Change Adapter settings on left side of the page and right click on your wireless network adapter and select Properties.
  • Click Configure then Power Management and remove the check box next to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Do the same for your wired network adapter.
  • Go into Control Panel>Programs and look for a program named Smartbyte. Uninstall it, reboot and try to connect to a network again using both adapters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I unchecked those boxes and tested both adapters. There wasn't any change. I wasn't able to find a program called Smartbyte.

·
4,092 Posts
No problem, I thought I saw Smartbyte installed... Have you tweaked or changed any other settings like in Dragon Center or with any other apps, shortcuts or hotkeys?
Double check and make sure some of this stuff is gone:
Go to Device Manager then Network Adapters and if you see "Private Internet Access Network Adapter" or a "TAP Windows Adapter", right click and uninstall.
Go to C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access folder and delete that folder if it's still there.

Are you using or know if you have the Intel Wireless Management software installed? It manages wireless connections like Windows does. You can search it in your Start menu list of Programs. I'm just curious if it allows you to connect to a network or offers an error message. Without being able to look at your settings firsthand, I'm at a loss. All your Windows services for networking seem to be running, but it's like you've got some other software blocking your network cards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey, sorry it's been a few days. I'm spending most of my waking hours on homework rn.
I didn't find any such adapters. There didn't seem to be a Private Internet Access folder in Program Files either.

I do not have the Intel Wireless Management software. Could you link me to it? I can download from this computer and move it over with a flash drive, as usual.

I was wondering, is it possible this is a hardware problem in some way?

·
4,092 Posts
Bear, that's ok if you didn't find any of that stuff, I wanted to make sure it wasn't left over from the VPN software. Hardware problem? - anything's possible, but I've never seen 2 network devices die at the same time. Is the laptop less than a year old and still under warranty? If so, I'd give MSI a call and see what they say. Do you know where the System Control Manager icon is in the lower right corner of your screen, in the system tray? Click on Wifi and make sure it's active and highlighted in blue.

• Click the Windows Start button and type Network Connections then double click on your wired or wireless connection. Can you take a screen cap of what's checked under 'this connection uses.."
  • Double click TCP/IPV4 on that screen, is everything still set to "obtain automatically", and on the alternate tab, "automatic IP" ?
The Intel Pro Set wireless software should be bundled with the wifi drivers you downloaded. If you start the Autorun.exe file in the folder, that should start the install. It's not really important, I was just curious if the program was already installed and if it could connect to a wireless network.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have returned.
@Fred Garvin

Everything is still automatic in TCP/IPV4.

@oscer1
Goodness, what a process! XD I'll do that pretty soon. I'll try to post the results later today. I actually remember running all of those command lines earlier (forgot to mention it), but I hadn't installed the software the instructions mentioned. I'll try that.

Also, I ran another troubleshoot on a whim. It said "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings." I don't know anything about networking, but that sounds a little like a VPN thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@oscer1
I downloaded the media creation tool, and moved it to my PC. When I tried to run it, I got an error saying I needed to be connected to the internet. Can I create the ISO on a different PC, and then move that over?

·
4,092 Posts
Bearman, the "Windows couldn't detect" message isn't a big deal, but do this. Click the Start button and type "Internet Options" then go to Connections tab, LAN settings and you can uncheck the box for "automatically detect settings".
  • In your screenshot above, remove the check mark for SoftEther Lightweight Network Protocol and click OK.
  • Go into Device Manager and look under Network Adapters. Do you see any other VPN adapters listed? Let me know what they are.
  • Reboot, see if there's any change.
Regarding doing a repair install - don't get ahead of yourself. I would avoid those instructions unless you have all your data and software licenses backed up or have the ability to make a full system image backup and know how to restore it if needed. Yes, you can create a USB or DVD image on another PC and use it on your laptop. I'd take a shot at uninstalling some of your most recent Windows updates (around the time of your problem), first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The Network Adapters are, in order:
Code:
    Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
    Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9462
    Npcap Loopback Adapter (currently disabled)
    Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) #2
    WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (IPv6)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    WAN Miniport (SSTP)
After a reboot, there did not appear to be any change.

On a side note, I installed ubuntu using dual-booting (from a bootable USB drive). I encountered some hitches (Windows really doesn't want me to boot to anything else XD), but I got it working and partitioned about 100 gigs to it. Reason I did this is 1: I wanted Linux, and 2: I wanted to see if a different OS would connect to the internet. It did not, so this might not be a Windows problem (unless I've overlooked something). Also, I noticed that Ubuntu comes with memtest, so I'll probably give it a run tonight. I still have Windows 10, ofc.

·
4,092 Posts
Booting up to Linux is one way to check and see if your network cards are working and rule out a Windows problem, but you have to make sure Linux has the drivers for at least one of the cards. Not saying it can't happen, but I have never seen a wired and wireless network card both fail on a computer at the exact same time. And they aren't physically connected in the same spot on the motherboard to consider having dropped something on the case as the cause. When I looked through your logs, I thought I saw that you tried a USB wireless network adapter, too. If that's the case, it's hard to call all 3 network cards broken.

If you're getting pretty good at this troubleshooting stuff, another option is to swap out your hard drive if you have a blank spare. Install Windows on the spare and see if you can get it running. That's non-destructive and you won't chance losing anything on your current drive. If you do a repair install on your drive, just make sure you have backups of all your files, software and serial #'s in case everything goes wrong.

Also, to boot from a USB, you may need to make some changes in your BIOS configuration settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Running from a blank hdd sounds like a pretty good idea. Plus, those are crazy cheap. Yeah, now that you mention it, I did try a USB adapter as well.

Also, just realized that ubuntu comes with memtest86+, not memtest86. And the plus one doesn't work on uefi, only bios. Ha ha. (Edit-, and legacy mode doesn't seem to want to work. That's very annoying.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi, plot twist time!
The internet actually does work on Linux. It just happened that today the router was blocking my PC, and I forgot to re-allow it (I promise this has never been the case before).
It still doesn't work on windows, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Alright, Internet still works well on Ubuntu. I've deleted some of the updates prior to Windows crapping out. Memtest revealed no errors (Hurray). I'll look into it further, but a backup and fresh windows install may be what's needed here.
I really appreciate all of your help. If you have any remaining suggestions, I'll be happy to give 'em a try.

On the plus side, I've learned how to boot stuff from a USB, which is nice. And I've learned a lot about Linux. My grades took a small hit, but overall I think this experience has been a net positive.

·
4,092 Posts
Bearman, no rush, take care of school first. When you have time, do the following and I'll look through your Windows logs if you can attach them.
  • First, shut down your computer then power it back on and try to connect to a wired or wireless network.
  • Right click on the Windows Start button and go to Event Viewer. Expand the folder: Windows Logs>>Application
  • Right click on Application and choose "Save all events as" and name it Application. Repeat the steps for the System folder as well
  • Put both of those files in a zip file and attach them to another post. I'll look through the info and see if I come up with anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Been a while! I finished the college class that was giving me the most trouble (an 8 weeks economics class), so I have returned.

Here's those event files.

Attachments

·
4,092 Posts
OK, back to computer class... It doesn't look like you've tried to connect your laptop directly to your router with an ethernet cable, can you try that? After you connect the cable and if you don't get any errors, open a command prompt and type IPconfig /all. Look under the heading "Ethernet Local area Connection: and see if there are any IP addresses listed; if there are, post that info into a reply here. See if you can get online.

Download this Intel driver package and save it on a flash drive so you can copy it to your laptop.
Uninstall your wireless adapter:
  • Go into Device Manager like you did before and expand the Network Adapters heading then right click on your AC 9462 wireless adapter and select Uninstall. Make sure to put a check in the box that says "delete the driver software" and click OK.
  • In the Device Manager menu, click Action>>Scan for hardware change and repeat the previous step to uninstall any additional Intel Wireless adapters (just wireless) that might be installed.
  • If you see a generic device appear with an exclamation, that's OK, leave it.
  • Unzip the Intel drivers and run the wirelesssetup.exe file and install the drivers. Don't reboot.
  • Run the Intel Bluetooth.msi file, let it install if it applies, then reboot.
  • See if you're able to show any available wireless networks and try to connect to your router.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts