Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-PROBLEM
2 days ago, I was using the store wi-fi in a Central Market with my laptop when the wi-fi suddenly disconnected.
I succeeded in reconnecting, but was unable to access the Internet. Now, no matter where I connect my laptop, I'm greeted with "No internet, Open".
I've gotten the same results at a Panera Bread, the Library, and with a mobile Hotspot. In every situation, however, I was able to connect my phone and use the Internet that way, so I know it's a problem with the laptop.
8 hours of trying various fixes I found online has gotten me practically nowhere (I've learned a lot about IP addresses, though).

-SPECS
I am using Windows 10 on an MSI GL63 8RE laptop.
I have an Intel i7, 8th Gen
I have 16 GB of RAM
(I know this is a pretty simplistic list. If there are any other specs or details you wish to know, I'll happily provide them.)

-STUPID THINGS I DID
Leading up to the problem, there were a few abnormal occurrences that are worth noting:

That morning, I dropped a metal high-capacity airsoft magazine on my open laptop to the right of the trackpad. (No visual damage, it wasn't a very heavy mag)
While I was able to use the Internet at Central Market, I attempted to torrent the first season of a TV show. However, I didn't succeed in downloading anything because there weren't any seeders.
I downloaded the VPN called Private Internet Access (PIA for short). That's when the problem arose. I uninstalled PIA because I thought it might have been the problem. It seems like it wasn't.

-FIXES I TRIED
Feel free to ask me to retry any of these fixes. Even if I've already tried it, I'll gladly do it again and post the results.

Connecting to 1.1.1.1
Restarting the laptop
Running a malware scan from both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
Network Reset
Forgetting the network and reconnecting
Running a troubleshoot (Result: Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS server); Security or firewall setting might be blocking the connection)
Disabling the firewall (I re-enabled it when it didn't fix the problem)
ipv4 and ipv6 were already set to obtain IP addresses and DNS server addresses automatically
Disabling ipv4 (re-enabled)
Disabling ipv6 (re-enabled)
ipconfig/flushdns followed up by ipconfig/registerdns
ipconfig/release followed up by ipconfig/renew (Error: An error occurred while renewing interface Npcap Loopback Adapter : unable to contact your DHCP server.)
Disabling Npcap Loopback Adapter (still disabled)
Setting a static IP (back to automatic)
Returning to a restore point (Sadly, I don't have any restore points)
Reinstalling adapters

There are in fact several other things I tried, including a couple other command lines that I can't remember. But again, I'm more than happy to retry things.

-IN CONCLUSION
I'm aware that a full system reset will most likely solve the problem, but that's a last resort. Reinstalling all of my stuff is not something I want to do if I can avoid it.
I can't download things directly to my laptop, but I can download things on my phone and move it over if necessary.

Any help is appreciated. I'll do my best to test every suggestion and supply any information you need.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,080 Posts
Are you able to see a list of available wireless networks? It sounds like you can see them and connect to one, but once you're connected you have no internet access, right?
  • Click the Windows Start button and type "Internet Options" then open the link. Click on the "Connections" tab then "LAN Settings". Make sure "automatically detect settings" has a check mark next to it and that there is no check mark under Proxy Server.
  • Click OK. Disconnect from any networks then reconnect and see if you can get online.
If it's not fixed, open a command prompt and type Ipconfig /all then press enter
Right click in the title bar and go to Edit>>Select All. Right click on the title bar again and copy everything that's highlighted and paste it into a reply here.
-- Actually, since that computer probably isn't connected to the internet, you can paste that info into notepad and save it as a text file. Then transfer it to another computer with a flash drive so you can copy & paste the Ipconfig info into a post here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Fred Garvin Thanks for the response! That is correct. A list of networks does show up, and I am able to connect to them, but I can't access the internet.

The LAN Settings were already set to automatically detect settings; there was no check mark under proxy server.

Here is the output of ipconfig/all:

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MSI
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-9C-23-FF-A6-B2
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-BA-F8-84-1B-07

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3A-BA-F8-84-1B-06

Unknown adapter VPN - VPN Client:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VPN Client Adapter - VPN
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5E-03-7E-17-FE-7B

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9462
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-BA-F8-84-1B-06
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c1ae:2f23:fd1e:c4b8%25(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.143(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 12:10:18 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 2:11:38 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 322484984
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-26-F0-40-50-02-00-4C-4F-4F-50
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-BA-F8-84-1B-0A

·
4,080 Posts
Get an ethernet cable and plug your laptop directly into your router, can you get online?

Download your wireless network card drivers here and save them to a flash drive. Then go into Device Manager and right click on your Intel Wireless LAN adapter and uninstall it. Reinstall the drivers from your flash drive, reboot and try getting online again wirelessly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily, we just got a router today! It's not installed yet, but when it is, I'll definitely try your first suggestion.
Somehow, the idea of using another device to download the driver hadn't occurred to me. XD It'll be a moment before I can download it, and then I'll tell you the results.
You're talking about the Intel Wireless LAN Driver right?

·
4,080 Posts
Yes, download the Intel wireless LAN drivers. If you have the option when installing, install the Drivers Only and not the Intel connection management software. I forget what it's called. Use the standard Windows software to manage your wireless connections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I updated the driver, but the problem is persisting. I've confirmed that I'm definitely updated to the most recent version.
I'll get back to you when I've tested a wired connection, though that might take a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Fred Garvin Sorry for disappearing. I was able to test my laptop with a wired connection using a modem. Other devices were able to get internet from it both wired and wirelessly, but my laptop was unable to do either. It did recognize that the network existed, but was unable to use it.
In other words, something is keeping my computer from accessing internet in any capacity.

·
4,080 Posts
OK. Click your Windows Start button and type CMD then right click on Command Prompt and select "run as administrator"
  • At the command prompt, type netsh winsock reset and press enter
  • Next type netsh int ip reset and press enter
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Reboot your computer and try getting online via wired and wireless again
If that doesn't get you online, go back to a command prompt and type tracert google.com then copy and paste the result of the trace into another reply here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran the commands you mentioned and restarted the computer. I was still unable to access the internet (Ethernet was stuck on "Identifying... Not connected").
I then ran tracert google.com. I got the error "Unable to resolve target system name google.com."
So I also ran tracert 1.1.1.1

Tracing route to 1.1.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 Transmit error: code 1231.
Trace complete.

·
4,080 Posts
See if you can download and run the program at this link and attach the zip file here to another post. Don't worry about the other instructions on that page. That app will collect some system info that I might be able to go through and figure out what's going on. I'm leaning towards an issue with that VPN software.

Try some of the Windows troubleshooters: Go to Settings>>Network & Internet then click on the network troubleshooter. Reboot and test with a wired ethernet connection, then try wireless.
If it doesn't work. Reboot and go back to the same page and select Network Reset.

If you get connected to a network, then you can try run the IPconfig /all command and tracert command I gave you earlier and post that info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran a Troubleshoot with a wired connection:
"Ethernet 2" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

I don't have access to a wired connection right now, but I have run a troubleshoot on one before. The error was:
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS server); Security or firewall setting might be blocking the connection

I ran that program. The .zip is attached to the post.

(btw, I don't know if I show it, but I really appreciate all of your help so far. I hope we can get this fixed. XD)

Attachments

·
4,080 Posts
You're welcome Bear. Can you go into Control Panel>>Uninstall a program and make sure that VPN software doesn't show up in the list? If it does, uninstall it.
Go into Device Manager>>Network Adapters and look for "VPN client Adapter" and "Npcap loopback adapter". Right click on them and uninstall if you see them. Reboot and try again.
Was System Restore not configured for your laptop? If not, turn it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The VPN software didn't show up. I uninstalled both adapters, and rebooted. I'm still unable to reach the Internet. On the Ethernet connection, it says "Not Identified, No Internet".
I configured system restore. Is 3% disk space a good amount?

·
4,080 Posts
3% is fine. Let's try a few reset commands again. Open a command prompt as an administrator and run each of these commands one at a time, press enter and wait for a response.
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
ipconfig /flushdns

• Go into Network & Sharing Center in Control Panel and click "Change Adapter Settings" on the left.
  • Right click on your Local Area Connection and select Disable. Do the same thing for your Intel Wireless Connection.
  • Now double click each network icon to re-enable them.
  • Go to Settings>>Network & Internet>>Wifi and click on Manage Known Networks. Delete any saved network connections that are in your range.
  • Reboot computer and try again - preferably connecting to your own router both wired and wirelessly. I see you're trying to connect to your phone's hotspot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did all of the above. There was no change.
Also, there was something I failed to mention, because I didn't know until now. We (my family) don't have a router yet. We only have a modem, which is why all of my own recent tests have been wired ones. As soon as we have a router, I'll let you know.
Is resetlog.txt a file you wanted?

·
4,080 Posts
OK. Using just a wired connection to your modem is fine and you could even try powering it off for 30 seconds to reset it before connecting your laptop again. I could see in your logs you were connecting to a cell phone hot spot and wanted to make sure that wasn't the only connection you were trying, since it adds other complications to troubleshooting the issue. No, I don't need the reset.log.

Open a command prompt as an an Administrator, run these 2 commands and press enter to see if they start. Let me know if they fail. Unplug the ethernet cable from your modem to laptop for about 10 seconds then plug it back in and see if it connects.
net start netman
net start BITS

Try booting your computer up in Safe Mode with networking and see if you can connect wired or wirelessly.
Click the Windows Start Button then hold down the Shift key and click Power>>Restart.
From the options on the screen, select: Troubleshoot>>Advanced Option>>Startup Settings>>Restart>>Safe Mode with Networking (#5)
See if you can connect to a network.
Restart your computer to go back to a normal Windows boot up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran both command lines. In both cases it said:
Code:
The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
I ran it in Safe Mode with Networking. For some reason none of the networks popped up. They reappeared when I restarted in normal mode though.

Sorry for my extended absence. Homework has been a pain. XD

Don't worry, I have been trying an assortment of connections, not just wireless hotspots. I also have a router now, so I can use wireless connections.

·
4,080 Posts
As long as those services were running or could start, that's fine. They weren't running when you ran the data collection app. I was thinking the problem was related to the VPN, but I didn't see anything corrupting your winsock file, which could have kept you from getting online. The weird thing is that you can't connect to a wired or wireless network, yet all your services seem to be running and TCP/IP reset successfully.

Safe Mode with Networking should have allowed you to connect to a wired or wireless network, while not starting up any 3rd party software that might interfere. So, I 'm not sure what to make of that w/o sitting in front of your computer. I'll have to go through your data again and see if I can find something else to look at. Did you make any other software or BIOS changes around the time you installed the VPN or were using the torrent software?

Try the Windows 10 network reset function again. Settings>Network>click on Reset Network. Keep trying to connect with an ethernet cable, too and open a web browser even if Windows says you aren't connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ran a network reset and retested several times. No change yet.

In the meantime, I also ran 'netsh winsock reset catalog' followed by 'netsh int ip reset reset.log' and restarted. Nothing there either.

Notably, I also ran sfc /scannow.
Code:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
Should I be worried about that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts