Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been searching all over google for the past week on trying to figure out my problem but all the ones ive tried still wouldnt solve my issue. I even went out and bought different routers and it still wont work! :sigh:

Devices:
Modem: SB5102 Motorolla
Routers: DI-614+ Dlink
BEFW11s4 Linksys
DIR-601 Dlink

I am currently with Shaw Cable and Telus. I have two different internet connections in my house because 1 is for gaming/surfing the web, and the other is for my security Dvr system/surfing web. My telus internet works fine no problems with it at all. My shaw was working fine with the router for the past year but all of a sudden it kept saying i have limited connectivity every so often. I would usually just unplug/plug the router and it would work for a week or so. But now when i unplug/plug in the router nothing would happen.

I pluged my ethernet cable directly from modem to my laptop and it works fine. But when i try to connect a router to it, i would not get any connectivity to any of my devices... Laptop/iphone. I use to get connectivity just by wire, and not wireless but now it seems as if both is not working.

I tried going into CMD and copying the ip/subnet etc into the static mode for my router but it still wont work. =/

If anybody has any information on what i am doing wrong or what i can do.. Please help me out. Im trying to get my security system set up before i leave on a trip.

Thank you in advance..

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
have you tried a powercycle - see below - if that does not work have you tried resetting the router back to factory defaults and then reconfiguring , sounds like the router is faulty

what are the status of all the lights on the router ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying!
I managed to get Internet on my linksys router. For some reason whenever I put a passkey on my wireless connection, wether it be wep or wpa, my connection would disconnect and connect. Like on for 5 secs then off for 5 secs. The weird part is when I leave it unsecured it works perfectly fine :/
Any clues on what I'm doing wrong? This is happening on all my devices, laptop/iPhone/iPad.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
For some reason whenever I put a passkey on my wireless connection, wether it be wep or wpa, my connection would disconnect and connect. Like on for 5 secs then off for 5 secs.
Have you tried resetting the router back to factory condition and then reconfiguring

may also be worth updating the firmware - and if no newer firmware available , just redo anyway

otherwise sounds like a faulty router

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.