Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"no Input Signal"

7K views 20 replies 1 participant last post by  SPEEDO 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

I recently purchased another hard drive to run alongside my existing one.

After taking my case off and putting the new one in i had a 2 double IDE cables running to my IDE ports. Both were attached to a CD drive and a hard drive with both hard drives set to master and both CD drives set to slave.

This is correct isn't it? I ensured that my original hard drive was connected back to IDE 1 and my new hard drive to IDE 2.

When I tried to turn my computer back on I just get "No signal input" hovering up and down the monitor and no initial beep when starting up.

I had this problem a few months ago when I upgraded my RAM as well, but after fiddling about I found one of the RAM sticks wasn't pushed in properley and it worked after that.

I haven't even touched the RAM this time but it's happening again. I've disconnected the video card and put it back in and I've checked the monitor cable and it seems fine?

HELP!?

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I have always run the hard drives off of the first ide port
And run the cd roms off of the second ide port.
As my hard drives are ATA100 UDMA100 on 80 wire ide cable.
The cd roms are slower than this so I keep my setup like this.

I don't know what kind of system you have or the types of drives you have.

You may have to rearrange the jumpers on some of the drives.

Check everything inside the case to make sure you didn't jar anything loose. Also check the to make sure there are no bent pins on the monitor connector and also that it is tight.

And welcome to Tech Support Forums.

#3 ·
Thanks Speedo

I know that the CD drives and hard drives on the same IDE are not an issue because I've took everything out and just had my original hard drive back into IDE 1 and I still get the message.

Plus the fact I do a lot of CD burning and the Nero burning software recommends that I use separate IDE's for each CD drive.

The pins on the monitor cable are definitely ok and as far as I can see I've not dislodged anything anywhere.

Anymore suggestions?

Does this message mean it is a monitor/video card problem or could it mean there is a motherboard problem.

Thanx

Mark

#7 ·
Speedo

I cleared the CMOS by placing a jumper over the two other pins on my motherboard as it said to do in the manual for my motherboard.

Sorry must be getting my terms mixed up. So your answer to my question is no I haven't flashed the BIOS.

Thanks again.

Mark

G
#8 ·
Do any of the fans come on, Or is it completely dead?

Does the power supply fan come on?

I am going to assume that this is an ATX system.

Did you put the jumper back to it's original position after clearing the bios?

Check the wire that comes from the power on button on the front of the case and see if it is still connected to the motherboard.

#9 ·
Hi Speedo

Yes a fan does come on and I placed the jumper back in the correct position.

Does this mean that I can assume that the power wire is still attached to the motherboard? Only reason I ask is because I'm at work and cannot get to my PC to check until later.

If you don't get a beep at power on doesn't that mean something specific?

Cheers mate

Mark

G
#10 ·
The thing that's bugging me is that this was a running system until you put the new drive in.

So during that process you may have jarred something loose.

Do you have another power supply that you can try in there?

This is usually the point where I would unplug all of the drives pull the ide cables and remove the motherboard from the case.

Set the motherboard on a phonebook or something.

Hook up just the following items.

Plug the power supply to the motherboard.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the right header on the mother board.

Make sure heatsink fan is plugged to the right header.

Take out the ram and reseat it again.

Put the video card back in.

Unplug the monitor from the wall and hook up the monitor, Then plug it back in.

Plug in the power supply and hit the power on button.

As I have no idea of your computer savvy if you are not comfortable doing this don't.

SPEEDO

#11 ·
Speedo

Ok then Speedo I shall give that a try. I am fairly good with computers but I have never taken a motherboard out.

I shall try this when I get home. As I won't be able to speak to you when I get back what oes it mean if I still get this message after doing all this?

Thanx

Mark

G
#12 ·
Well this will narrow it down to CPU, Motherboard, Video Card, Ram or the Power supply or if this works something else was amiss.

If it does work start by putting it back in the case and hook it up with the items we discussed in the prior post.

Then add one thing at a time and see if it posts each time.

I take it this is the only machine you have at home.

Just get a good area to work in and keep a mental note of how it comes apart.

It would also help if you have the manual for referencing.

Funny thing is this is exactly how I took apart and put together my first machine.

#14 ·
Have got power now but for some reason it won't detect either of my hard drives. Found out that the problem was the ide cables would fit into my motherboard and one of my hard drives both ways round but only the correct way would enable the signal to get to the monitor.

Now how to i get the CMOS to detect my drives?

Cheers

Mark

#16 ·
nearly there

Speedo

I'm nearly there. Thanks to the motivation of Speedo I have now disassembled and reassembled my first PC!!!

Have solved the problem it was the IDE cables fitting either way on the motherboard and hard drives and that's all it was I think! Oh well it's all good experience.

Anyway now I initially had a problem with the CMOS detecting the new hard drive I put in on IDD 2 but after changing the jumper on the back to a different setting it then recognised it.

On the device manager it says I have two GENERIC IDE DISKS TYPES 47 and 80.

But I still can't see it under my computer as another drive??

Any thoughts on the matter?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.