Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird one... A friend's IBM Thinkpad T22 has no double-click function... to open anything-- files/folders/programs you MUST right-click/select "open" I have tried 3 different mouses two PS 2, one optical, checked all settings I can think of.

he's running Win 98 SE all patches applied
Zone alarm free
AVG free
the OS was preloaded-- bought it second hand-- I don't know Win 98 that well either... just thought I'd see if anyone recognized this problem-- it's driving me up a wall. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've checked properties, tried setting them differently/returning to the original settings. No good --also the settings wouldn't apply to 3 different mice--one of them an optical mouse--different driver entirely. I suspect it's
a corrupted OS file --it's the only thing that makes sense, unless theres a problem with the motherboard circuit itself. I just didn't know if someone with more Win 98 experience than I would recognize the problem-- I searched M$ knowledge-base, I googled for the problem, nothing. I went prettymuch straight to WinXP when I started out so I don't know some of the "old tricks" out there. I just want to avoid a reinstall if possible.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna pray my friend HAS his original discs-- as I said this was a second-hand laptop purchase-- probably some corporation upgrading their models. I have no idea what he has for software-- might be one of those blasted "recovery discs".... or he might not have anything, I just don't know. I do know how to run the file-checker... so that's what I'll try next.

The problem with the double-click probably won't bother him-- he's just going to use this thing for school. Word-processing/note taking, etc. The laptop was obtained for him by a co-worker who unfortunately passed away last year. (leukemia) So we can't even find out where,exactly, he bought the machine. I'm just really a perfectionist when it comes to me working on a 'puter for someone... I want it to be running it's best when I return it.
I'll find out what he has today-- let you know how we make out
:wink: Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, nothing like that is installed --other than windows defaults ... this laptop has never been used by the current owner-- he's just gone back to school -- it had sat in a closet --unused-- for probably 2 years. I ran windows update- and there were somnething like 15 updates... I installed the ones that were security/operating system related. Updated drivers, etc. I have a high-speed connection --he does not, yet. Though he will soon. Also he is somewhat "technically challenged" when it comes to operating systems/hardware problems. I just "built" him a desktop -- from a barebones kit + other hardware (HD/Video card/soundcard) -- but like my desktop-- that one also has Win XP--so I'm a lot more comfortable with it. Win 98 I ran for LESS than 3 months in my whole life-- and that was when I was just starting out 6-7 years ago. I went directly to XP and never looked back... I'm trying to learn, but.... troubleshooting oddball probs is never easy-- even less so-- when you know enough to get you in real trouble... but not enough to get yourself OUT. :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes -- I already tried a usb mouse--the optical mouse I first mentioned --was usb --that's why I say that this is probably an OS problem --as in something corrupted-- not just a settings issue. I tied 2 different PS2 mouses AND a USB Optical mouse that was working fine three minutes prior to me hooking it to the laptop. And I am using a mouse-pad... A PC toys "gamer's" pad to be exact -- rigid with a slightly rough surface. Never a problem with that either-- used it for years. I wondered if someone knew of a quick-fix registry edit, or some quirk of win98 that caused this. I'm trying to avoid a reinstall, you know? :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.