Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Emachine TS1840. It was struck by lightning and I am trying to get it to work. I have replaced the power supply, the motherboard, and the processor. The power supply was first and that matches the model that was in the computer. The motherboard is the correct size and matches the old one as close as I can see. The processor is an Intel P4 just like the original one. When I turn on the computer I hear 1 short beep but that is all. I never get any display. Even if I disconnect everything from the motherboard, I don't get anything. Anyone have any ideas for me?

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
Hi Mr Sunshine, welcome to Tech Support Forum!

The beep code you refer to will tell us what the problem is, but first we need to know what make and model of motherboard you have there and what bios. For example an IBM beep of one short and then no display indicates a problem with the graphics processor. Other bios features a short beep normally.

I am thinking that your graphics card or onboard graphics is fried. The fact that you have replaced the mobo, means that in all likelyhood that you are using a graphics card (PCIE, PCI or AGP). Post some info and we can go from there, but i think your graphics card might need replacing too mate unfortunatly. Also invest in a surge protector, might be worth the money now.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, the computer was fried before I got it. It was given to me and I thought it would be an easy fix....I was wrong.

I am using the onboard video card. The MOBO I have is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262

The processor I purchased for it is this one:
PENTIUM 4 SOCKET 478 1.8GHZ (1800MHZ) 400MHZ BUS 256K

I have never built or bought parts for a computer before but from what I could tell these will work together.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have figured this out. The memory I have is DDR PC2100. The spec for the MOBO says DDR 400. Could that be causing my problem or is my memory compatible?

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
Hi Mr Sunshine.

It is definately hardware, but these beep codes mean something. We need to somehow determine this. If you can borrow a graphics card to put into the machine so that you can see the bios, etc i would recommend that. Then we can go from there. I would definately take out any hardware that is not entirely essential (eg extra ram sticks) so that we can rebuild slowly checking along the way.

It would be great if you could borrow a gpu to get the display working. Take out extra ram and see if you can go from there. Sorry, it would be much easier if i was able to see the machine. So many things could be causing this, and without a monitor working it is hard to request further info.

So a long story short, take out all uneccssary hardware, try to boot, if that doesnt work you are going to have to put a new or borrowed graphics card in there to increase the chances of the monitor working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.