Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an Acer Aspire One with what seems to be this very common complaint. I've checked the boot order, and tried many of the keystroke tricks to try to reboot, to no avail.

I am afraid that I have a bad HDD except the Bios definately recognizes it.
The second thing I've noticed is that in the Bios Security, there is a notation HDD: Froze

I've had this laptop since it was born, and have never entered a password on it, so this is confusing to me.

I do have access to other computers, but don't have any Special cables or devices to see if I can read the hard drive. I don' t believe it's clicking.

Can anyone send me in a new direction? I can't reboot from a recovery disk because this model didn't come with one, but if worse comes to worse, i have an external CD Rom I could use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:sad:OK, so I have the external drive set up, the cd burner program installed to make an iso file, and a blank cd ready and when I click on the first link Hard Drive Diagnostics I'm back to getting the HTTP 404 error. Hopefully it will work later today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it too now.
So, I downloaded the diagnostic program for the Toshiba (the one for bootable), converted it into an ISO file, burned it onto a disk and put it into the external cd. Restarted the computer and nada.
I feel like i missed something though.
I am so completely out of my element here.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
You should see a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" just after you turn it on and after it completes POST . . if not, go into BIOS and set the first boot device to be the external CD/DVD drive. You may also have to enable "Boot from USB"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed to DVD drive as the first to boot. AND for good measure, along the way hit F12 - change boot order to check, and it was the first thing listed. Continued to start and got same thing - no bootable device -- insert bootdisk and press any key. DVD Drive does whir at the appropriate time.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
That's strange . . if it came with no CD/DVD drive, it should be capable of booting from an External one . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm assuming you mean an option listed other than in the boot priority order list?

This is my bios:
Information Tab: (no user options)

Main Tab:
System Time
System Date
Total Memory
Video Memory
Quick Boot (enabled)
Network Boot (disabled)
F12 Boot Menu (enabled)
D2D Recovery (enabled)
SATA Mode (IDE)

Security
Supervisor Password (clear)
User Password (clear)
HDD Password (froze)

Set Supervisor Passoword
Set User Password
Set Hdd Password
Power On Password (disabled)

Boot
Boot Priority Order:
1. USB CDROM: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2612
2.IDEO: Toshiba MK1652GSX
3. IDEI:
4. USB FDD:
5. Network Boot
6. USB HDD:

Exit

Hope this helps

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Pretty limited BIOS . . do yu see the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" ? when you start the laptop with the cdin the drive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I DO get the "press <F12> to change boot order though.
Then the CD Drive comes up in the list (assuming it's connected) I click it and the same thing happens
No bootable device -- insert.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.