Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer is a Dell XPS 600 if that matter any. I am running Windows XP Media Center.

OK so yesterday morning I go to start my computer and as soon as the Windows logo appears it goes to blue screen.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been [bleep] down to prevent damage ...blah blah"

Technical information : *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A608268, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

So I restart and go to boot menu. I can't boot to last know good configuration, cant boot to safe mode with netoworking, cant boot to safe mode with command prompt, cant boot to safe mode. All results in the same BSOD.

So I decide ok I'll put in my WinXP DVD (It's a DELL reinstalliation DVD) and try to repair or run a CheckDisk. Now when I try to boot from DVD it tells me ...

"selected boot device not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. I have checked the BIOS / setup screen and everything looks the same. It reads my HD and Devices, and the boot menu looks fine. I even tried removing all option from boot menu and leaving just onboard CDROM, but still said "selected boot device not available."

That i when I have the DVD in the DVDROM. When I place it in the CDROM the error is "No boot device available." A little bit different.

So frustrating! I have had a similiar problem before and DELL Phone support ruled it was my motherboard, which is bull. They sent a tech out and the guy said this isnt a hardware issue and changed something in the BIOS and it started working. But I cant see anything in the bios that is wrong.

I just want to save the data on my HD. I cant even do a parrallel installiation if my CDROM isnt reading the WinXP CD (Note the CD is good because another computer will boot from it). If only that would work then I could move past the BSOD problem.

So at this point I just need help figuring out why I cant boot from a Windows installation DVD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have replaced my DVDrom by a new one so that won't be the problem either. Also my HD is new.

Please anyone?

Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I eventually resolved my problem with no help from Dell. They kept saying it was a hardware issue and wanted to send me a new DVD Drive. Well I knew it wasnt a hardware issue and eventually got to the problem.

Go into your BIOS and check your device settings to see what is turned ON and OFF. Mine looked like this...

Drive 0: SATA-0 is on: DRIVE ID WDC WD3200KS-75PFB0 (it is ON, the other options are Off and RAID ON
drive 1: is off
drive 2: off
drive 3:eek:ff
drive 4: PATA-0: is ON DRIVE ID: HL-DT-ST GCE-8487B
Drive 5: PATA-1: is ON drive ID: Philips DVD+/-RW DVD8801

Well Drive 0 is ofcourse my Harddrive. Drive 4 is my CDROM and Drive 5 is my DVDROM. Well as long as drive 4 was turned ON my computer will look at the CDROM for a boot device. So I just turned drive 4 (CDROM) OFF and then rebooted. My computer then recognized that my CDROM was off and the primary device was now my DVDROM. It finally saw the Windows DVD boot disc and I was able to do everything I wanted (repair / reinstall windows).

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.