Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello techsupportforum.com I'm Chris, nice to meet you.

I have a problem...

2 nights ago I pressed the power button on my pc to find nothing happen. At all. Then I noticed it was because my case was not attached properly and the butons weren't connecting, attached it and it worked no probs. Powered down fine but yesterday I had the same problem, no boot at all only the case is properly attached. Whenever I turn off the PSU and turn it on again, the first time I hit the power button I get the power LED lighting for a split second and just one fan from the PSU working - a fan that normally stays on for about 10mins after I've powered down.

I've opened the case and checked for loose connections to no avail, does anyone suspect I have a PSU or motherboard problem? I've already had conflicting advice...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It could still be a switch problem. Remove the wire for the power switch from the motherboard. With a small tipped screwdriver (plastic Handle) or a ballpoint pen with a medal tip short them two pins. If it fires up it the switch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,
It certainly sounds like a PSU issue. The fault described would lead me to check the PSU first. If you have a spare PSU then try and change it OR if you have a friend who can fault find then have them check the PSU with a multimeter. Post back with your results.

If it is in another area then the MOBO would be the next likely candidate.

Good Luck
Golith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just noticed that the green light on my mobo is still on (I think it's an ASUS A7NBX-E) but I don't know where the power button is located on it. I don't feel comfortable shorting it either.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Find the wires coming from the power switch on the front of the case and trace them to the pins on the motherboard. Remove the switch connector from the pins on the motherboard and short the 2 pins together momentarily. If the machine starts then replace the power switch.

The symptom of momentarily starting when you plug a power supply in is normal for modern computers. It supplies the standby voltage needed to run the startup system as indicated by the green LED on your mobo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.