Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has been progressively getting worse until it reached the point that it will not even boot to the bios. It started about a week ago when I would have to reboot it once or twice each time to get it started. It would hang up on the bios splash screen or go to post bios screen where I would have to hit F1 to continue.

Today it decided to die completely. The second to last time I booted it I got a BSOD which I failed to write down what it said. I rebooted & it wanted to start windows in safe mode. Now it will not even boot to the bios splash screen. It has power; all the fans are working fine. Any ideas?

My specs;
Asus P5n-72 M/B q6600 chip
4 gigs of ram
Windows vista ultimate 64 bit
Dual 8800 ultra video cards running in SLI

This is what I have tried so far;
Tried each stick of ram individually.
Tried spare ram.
Tried each video card individually in different slots.
Reset the bios & removed the battery.
Unplugged everything but one video card & the main hard drive.
Reseated all the power connectors- inspected everything for damage.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? I have flashed the bios in the past (more than a year ago) using a non o/s method. I don’t think this is a result of the flash.

Unfortunately the case the computer is in doesn't have a speaker so I can't count the error beeps to see what that will tell me. I have no spare power supply or MB laying around.

Any ideas? In my previous life as a gainfully employed individual I would have used this as an opportunity to upgrade everything. Today though, I am living on an unemployment check. I am willing to part with the money for a cheap replacement MB- I am taking classes online and need a spare computer in case something happens to my laptop.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
classic symptoms of a power supply failing.

strongly suggest you stop using the pc until you replace the psu ( can cause damage to other components ).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
classic symptoms of a power supply failing.

strongly suggest you stop using the pc until you replace the psu ( can cause damage to other components ).
I neglected to mention this; When it boots I am seeing the DVD drives operate like normal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for your advice- I have stopped messing with it, it won't boot so there is no point in trying anymore.

I am going to buy a power supply tester, they are fairly cheap and seem easier to use than a multimeter.

THANKS!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the brand name and wattage of that power supply?
It's an "Ultra" brand.. (Ultra X3 1000 watt modular power supply)

It is a bit of overkill but I am runing an SLI system. I've only had the power supply for about 18 months to two years (I would have to check)

I've been thinking about buying one of those power supply testers, Tiger Direct has one for 11 bucks. It seems as if it would be easier than using a multi-meter.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Ultra PSU would be my first suspicion. They are poor quality and the X series are the worst of the brand.
The PSU testers only tell you if all the circuits are getting power. They don't apply a load to the PSU.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I am going to test it using a multimeter. I have done some reading on the power supply testers & they aren't worth it.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a power supply.

BIG question- what power supply should I buy to replace it if it turns out I have a failure? Any recommendations?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.