Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:no:
Well heres my problem:

When I turn on my computer with everything plugged in correctly and all, I do not hear a beep from the motherboard and no display comes up on the screen! This sounds simple but every now and again the computer will start fine as if nothing has happened, as in it will beep do all the necessary tests and it runs fine, then its like hooray its fixed! till one day I get up in the morning and it wont beep and no monitor display again! I dont know whats going on here can someone please help, I have tried another video card in agp slot, pci slot and isa slot but to no avail, it just seems to want to come on when it feels like it. Even if I take things out or unplug them all I still get the same...It just does it when it feels like it.

My specifications are:

Pentium 3 600mhz Slot 1 Processor.
256mb SDRAM
MS6119 Motherboard.
16mb ATI Rage Fury Pro 128.
Soundblaster 5.1 PCI
Motorola 56K Fax Modem.
20 gig Hard Drive.
16X CD-RW
16X DVD ROM.
Floppy Drive.
Unex ND10x Family PCI Network Adapter.

It had this problem before even the Soundcard, Network Adapter, CD-RW and Modem were installed.....So it isnt them. (I think)!

Please help!:winkgrin:

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Just a thought you may have a bad Bios chip or battery or the Mother board my be bad as a whole but that is where i would go next if I were you. Replace the bios battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think it could be all caused by the battery? Im have no problem with the date/time or anything....How the hell do I replace the bios chip....if I can?

S

·
0 Posts
Try another power supply, Borrow or try one out of a working machine that you have.

And welcome to the forums Dark-Harlequin...........:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL

Well, I tried changing the cmos battery and that didnt work so I poked the BIOS chip and it came on.....whether itll keep working I dont know.....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Go with the power supply like speed said...

also move it to an diffrent outlet....go to radio shack and get and oulet test they are cheap...good power can change a PC's proformance....

do you hear a P/S fan?? when it works are the fans running...is it heat related and when it heats up it stops working???

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Could there be something grounding the mobo to the case.... you know the old spider legs trick??? I'd go buy a can of air and spray wildly throughout your entire case since your going to open it to pop in a new PS anyway.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,287 Posts
SPEEDO said:
I never would have thought of using the ol' poke the bios trick....:D
I'll have to remember the "poke the BIOS" trick! BTW, does this come from the old Commodore 64 days?:D
Seriously, try checking the memory to make sure it's not loose in its slots as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.