Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a weird one this...

Went to load up the computer today and the thing refuses to boot up. Power is running through it, the CPU fan and other fans start, the GFX card one starts (but turns off after about 30secs - presumably because its not being used) but nothing.

Theres no beeps, just the gentle sound of fans...I can't hear the hard drives moving or the CD drive working.

The no beep thing was troubling me because usually I can isolate the problem from there. I've removed pretty much everything and plugged it in again but still - no luck. I've even changed the PSU with one that definitely works AND changed the motherboard with one that definitely works. STILL nothing.

So now I'm out of ideas. I've tried it with just the bare minimum inserted, and still nothing.

Could it be the RAM? Or the case? (I'm clutching at straws now to be honest)

Any help GREATLY appreciated....

P

·
0 Posts
Can you test your parts on a different computer ? That way we can narrow down the problem. I hope you can.

edit: try bare minimum outside the case on a non-conductor surface. ( this will eliminate the case factor )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried most of them, except for the RAM. But wouldn't that cause a beep (I think it did when I had problems with the RAM in the past)?

I mentioned the case because I was perhaps thinking of the connectors/jumpers (like PowerSW, HDD LED, etc). But, then again, if they weren't working, then the computer wouldn't boot up at all....

It's the lack of beep thats really throwing me off to be honest. Every problem I've had in the past always produced a beep, but now its just silence and a blank screen...

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Well, depends if the board beeped in the past, not all boards do (the beep code is in bios microcode).

If so, or you know the mobo you put in as a replacement has beep codes...
Remove everything-ram, keyboard, mouse, drive data cables (leave a drive power cable connected so psu has a load), PCI cards, everything except the speaker. Power up and if it doesn't beep then cpu is kaput, finito, history.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If there's no BEEP or load up screen it sounds like your BIOS is corrupted. Either download the BIOS flash using another PC or use the motherboard's CD to flash the BIOS. Many boards will have you insert the CD and right after turning on the power you'll hit certain keys to activate the BIOS installation.

You can also try removing the BIOS battery and doing what the manual states to clear the BIOS by moving a jumper etc.. Once the BIOS is clear, you will have to be sure to update the time/date and other specifics in your BIOS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.