Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My computer specs are:

AMD 2400+ XP with an ARBIT motherboard
4gb master harddrive/ 160gb slave harddrive
512 ram
350Watt power supply
nVidia Geforce FX 5200 Asylum
Windows XP Professional

I've tried my best to make this machine work, I've passed through many hurdles except this one.

I can get windows xp to boot. It loads the desktop just fine. But sometimes half-way through the use of a program or right at the beginning of it, the program crashes.

It says that "(Insert program name) has encountered a problem and must close."

This does not happen for only one program it occurs in all kinds of programs. Like bitTorrent, Internet Exploer, Yahoo DSL, WinAmp, and etc.

Another problem is that there is a "page fault in nonpaged area" problem. Which ends up closing "Windows to prevent damage to your computer." That occasionally shuts down my computer and is apparently caused by my win32k.sys file, however fixing it is another matter.

I could use Any help out there. This is an SOS.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,

I just built my new machine. I'm using an
Intel D865PERL mobo
P4 2.4 800MHz chip
ATI Raedon 7000 video card (wanted to go cheap as possible)
Antec 350 watt supply
Windows XP

I hade a couple of those closing notices for certain programs but realized they were a result of something I was doing or a driver conflict. Indeed, the majority of program crashes are a result of some sort of driver or dll conflict

I suggest that you update all of your software and OS and hardware. This is important, especially if you just stepped up from Windows 98/ME.

Have you thought of wiping out your hD and reinstalling Windows/ it may help.

Aside from that, you could do a selective boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've visited Windows Update and updated everything to the max.

I've also updated my motherboard bios.

I've visited the website to update my video card driver and AGP slot driver.

My mother board includes a sound card and LAN card integrated in. And those are the only things I haven't looked for new drivers.

Would I need to install new drivers for my DVD drive or CD-RW drive?

Maybe I might just maybe reinstall windows. But I've just reinstalled it at least 20 times in the past switching between Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows XP.

Say why would selective boot up help me? (This will greatly increase my knowledge of the computer.)

Thxs for the suggestion.

I'm still open to more suggestions. Trust me I'll need as many as I can get, because more likely than not, a good many solutions won't work.

Gonna try out your suggestions and cross my fingers. Also everytime I installed the OS I low-level formatted my hard drive. And I didn't upgrade from a lower version of Windows, I used the Full version.

·
Registered
139 Posts
cloudlife said:

Gonna try out your suggestions and cross my fingers. Also everytime I installed the OS I low-level formatted my hard drive. And I didn't upgrade from a lower version of Windows, I used the Full version.
Next time you install XP, let the installation disc do the formatting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually what I do is low-level format the harddrive to absolutely remove anything that could cause me trouble.

Then I parition the drive using Fdisk.

Then I formatted it using the Installation disc, which btw my master drive currently uses NTFS.

Also selective boot didn't help.

I also recevied new BSOD "IRQL equal not or less" "00000058 (or something like that)" and the occasional "Page fault found in nonpaged area."

Would anyone know which company I should contact should I need their assistance? (AMD?/ARBIT?/Windows?/nVIDIA?/Some other company?)

Going paranoid and gonna find new drivers for LAN card, sound card, DVD drive, CD-RW drive.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have you gone back to the basics? Download www.memtest86.com and let it run overnight, this might be as simple as a memory error.

Usually when crashes occur in random places, I tend to start looking at hardware first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmmm, I've got this problem too.... or something similar....

:hit:
You might also end up encountering nv4_dsp.dll throwing the "fault in non paged area" area at you. It does so to me, I'm beginning to suspect the GeForce FX 5600 chipset, despite the most up to date drivers and all that good stuff it still throws the error at me now and again, but only when I'm running graphics heavy applications (SWG and such). I've been poking at the problem for awhile, do yourself a favor and double check USB drivers. Those may be what is giving the win32k.sys errors. Also check your device manager and take a look at your hidden devices, I had an issue awhile back with the serial driver wigging out on me, casued all sorts of annoyances with seemingly unrelated things. Try setting your BIOS to minimal graphics on bootup, all sorts of pain in the butt problems eh? I've tried to get ahold of microsoft to troubleshoot this problem, but my schedule doesn't mesh with theirs, so I cope.

Later and good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you download the latest drivers from the nVidia corperate site or somewhere else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Actually I found out that the problem is with the RAM. It had 66,000 errors on it. I've replaced it but......

However, I still get 377 errors on test #4 when I run memtest-86.

"Test 4 [Moving inv, 32 bit pat, cached]

This is a variation of the moving inversions algorithm that shifts the data pattern left one bit for each successive address. The starting bit position is shifted left for each pass. To use all possible data patterns 32 passes are required. This test is effective in detecting data sensitive errors in "wide" memory chips." (quote from http://www.memtest86.com/#details)

I have:
512 mb DDR unbuffered-RAM 184-DIMM at 400mhz
ABIT motherboard KD7A
AMD 2400+ XP with a 266 FSB and a 4:2:1 ratio.

Does anyone know what might be the cause for this problem?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You still have a MB or memory issue. It could be your BIOS configuration, you might try resetting it to factory defaults and see if the memory test still fails.

Do NOT proceed with trying to install an O/S until you have the memory working perfectly, you'll just be wasting your time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i figured i would post on here cuz i seriously need help...

I got D865GBF Intel MainBoard, Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor, with 1024 ram.

i installed everything and at first i was having problems with my C drive being MSDOS something, but i figured that out by changing it to only PATA in the bios and now that is fine. my recent problem is the vid card. i bought a verto geforce fx 5200 ultra 128mb. and when i try to install the drivers it goes through the whole process and reboots, comes into windows updates the driver and then needs to reboot again, then this time when it reboots it shows the windows loading screen and after that when you think it is gonna go into windows it shows a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left. and it just sits there.

any ideas on the the heck is wrong? i installed the drivers from the cd and it did this, so then i downloaded the drivers off nvidias site and it still does it.

also i notieced that the hd had only 6 or so gbs but in the bios it says 120gbs so i went to the fdisk to see if it can help... but im just pissed that i paid for all this and now its not working....

HELP

THanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uh...... when u said that you have 6 gbs

Did you parition your 120gb hardrive to have a 6gb C drive and a 114 gb D drive?

because if you didn't partition it that way, and it shows up that way you need to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Omg......

Everytime I run memtest-86 the errors in number.

I'm starting to think that running memtest itself creates the errors.

So basically memtest-86 is screwing up my RAM basically.

Btw how would you reset the BIOS to factory default?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
uh why is that setup bad?

it shouldn't make a difference, and especially shouldn't make a difference on the ram.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.