Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to make of this but a few weeks ago out of nowhere my onboard lan goes out on me out of the blue, so I get new drivers, try different cables, and it's definately the onboard lan so I put a network card in and use that instead... then a week or so later, deja vu. I do the same with the card and end up replacing it with another, since I have a few laying around but yet again this is happening to me and it's boggling my mind and if anyone can bring any possible situation to my attention it'd be so greatly appreciated and may save me hours upon days of frustration.

Also, before they cease functionality entirely, there is generally a gradual decrease until I have no connectivity.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I never heard of anything like that before.

Are you sure the cards weren't bad before you installed them? Are they completely dead, or are they just not working on that computer? Is the indicator light on the card off when it dies? Can you ping the localhost? Did you try to install them in a different PCI slot?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Tell us more about your network. The only time I have seen this is when part of the network wires are outside and getting exposed to lightning.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Try forcing the NIC speed and duplex manually. Sometimes you can have problems when both ends are set to Auto and they go stupid for some reason.

Also if possible, try plugging the PC and other device into the same branch electrical circuit or the same outlet if possible. You may have a problem with your power distribution at your location causing ground loops or noise.

Jameso

·
Registered
255 Posts
i would like to help, but i cant mainly as i dont no wat a NIC is, so whats a NIC and ill see if theres for some reason anything i can comment

·
Registered
255 Posts
thanks, but sorry, like i said i didnt no wat a NIC was, i cant help, i wish i could, but the gd ppl here will help :sayyes:

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If it's really killing the hardware, I'd be looking for grounding/power issues. Start by measuring the voltage between the grounds for the computer that's dying and whatever it's connected to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.