Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently recieved a new case for my components. Yesterday, I tried transferring everything over to the new case, including the PSU. Everything was working fine before i transferred.

But now, I'm having problems getting past the 'CMOS Reset - loading defaults' screen. I don't think the keyboard is being detected, as it doesn't light up and I can not go into the BIOS setup.

I've cleared the CMOS bunches of times, reseated everything, took everything out and booted and etc. It always posts correct ram/hd information, and I suspect i may be able to get into the bios if it would recognize the keyboard. I have tried other keyboards to no use.

I've taken everything out and tried starting it out of the box on cardboard to see if maybe I was shorting something, yet it did the same thing again. Posts fine - including counting ram and harddrives when I do plug them in. It just seems it will not allow me to go anywhere or maybe not recognizing the keyboard - hence i am unable to enter setup to correct the reset cmos.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to go with this thing? I'm completely lost at the moment. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add my system specs:

ABIT Nf7 motherboard
2x512mb Kingston Value Select
80gig Seagate
160gig seagate
Radeon 9800pro 256mb

Latest bios version for the motherboard, i believe.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Are you using a USB keyboard ???

if so try using a standard PS2 keyboard

When you clear the cmos did you unplug the PSU from the wall / then pull the cmos battery for 30 minutes before restoring this procedure to boot up mode ?????

please post back your findings

regards

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the look guys!

Alright, I just left the power cord out w/ cmos jumper in discharge overnight. I just tried it out of box, and it still is the same screen 'Cmos Reset - Defaults Loaded' and I am unable to get anywhere.

I'm using a ps2 keyboard, and have tried another ps2 keyboard as well. I've also tried switching ps2 slots.

I'm going to try finding someone with a usb keyboard (hopefully i can) as it seems the mouse is getting power from the usb ports.

Other than that, still lost as heck. Thanks for the look guys, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
starting to sound like your ps/2 port is on the fritz / i think you have a good plan to find a usb keyboard

let us know

did you llok in device mngr to see if anything is yellow exclamation marked or multiple entries ?????

salute

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully should have a usb keyboard to check it out soon. Will it matter if the keyboard is a wireless model?

Also, I can't boot into windows, so checking device manager isn't an option :D

I'll check back

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fixed it!

It turns out that my mother board has a jumper by the ps2 ports. In 1-2 it allows keyboard/mouse to be recognized on boot. Somehow during the transfer I must have slipped the jumper off and not known it. I also had a myriad of other problems which simply took booting out of box and fixing with cmos resetting and standard troubleshooting.

Incredibly simple fix, but maddening nonetheless. Thanks for the help, this was a learning experience. ALWAYS CHECK ALL JUMPER SETTINGS! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.