Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my computer back from compusa 3 days ago after having had them upgrade it with a lot of new parts I got, and nows its restarting after 1 hour or more of playing games.

I have:

Amd Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4ghz, San Diego) [new]
3D Fuzion 7800GT [new]
Dfi Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D [new]
1GB Corsair XMS Twinx PC3200 RAM (2x512MB) [4 Months old]
Zalman CNPS9500 HSF [new]
480 Watt Antec TrueBlue PSU [4 months old]

The only things are not brand new are the RAM and the PSU which are both 4 months old. I had compusa do the install because I don't really know how to put a CPU +hsf in and do all the compound stuff correctly, and because I wanted to have it professionally done and avoid any overheating type problems like I had been having before.

Basically after a hour or so of fear or guild wars my computer just restarts, when this happens a message flashs on the bottom of the screen, but its so fast I cant read it at all. It then restarts and theres no other signs of anything being wrong.

This was exactly why I upgraded in the first place, and now its happening again... Its very annoying and I dont understand what could be causing it unless it is the PSU.

these are the specs of the PSU: http://www.antec.com/specs/trueblue480_spe.html

Basically it has 28A on the +12V rail, so that should in theory be enough power for what im trying to run here right?

Barring that Idk know what could be causing the problem, unless compusa messed something up when they installed this stuff. What do you think it could be?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ tiger025
Have you been monitoring your temps and voltages during these heavy use sessions? Try using Motherboard Monitor 5 or something similar and keep it open during your gaming(or run Prime95's Torture Test) and monitor and record your voltages and temps at 5 minute intervals. That is a pretty potent system you have going there and you may be underpowered or undercooled, which can sometimes go hand-in-hand...high temps makes PSUs work harder and be less efficient.

I personally use MBM and Prime95 'Torture Test' to stress test new systems builds..it is easy to use and effective.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was just thinking about doing that, I ran the program that come with my mobo and I found a problem right away, the chipset.

That is after just 10 minutes of farcry. I'm pretty sure the cpu should be fine as its got a mofo of a cooler on it, it never seems to go above 35C or so. But that red writing the chipset is in cant be good, and I think i may have found the problem.

[img=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5120/wtfcompusa2sw.th.jpg]

[img=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5669/****ingcompusa9sh.th.jpg]

Dam compusa put my 7800GT right over the chipset fan..... Would that cause it to overheat?

At anyrate can i just move the video card to the other PCI-E Slot?

Edit: Heres some more results after 10minutes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
You could move that to another PCI slot, but, if I'm seeing your pics correctly, it probably won't eleviate your problem entirely. IF the card will fit there (and I'm not talking port capatability, actually physically fitting around with other items next to it) it still looks as though most of it will be over the chipset fan.

Do you have the ability to install any other fans in the case? 120MM fans or 80MM fans? I know that AMD's run hot anyways and systems utilizing them should be cooled extremely well. Look into your fans (maybe upgrading those?)

But you should be able to unplug your computer, move the card, and restart with no problems. If I were you I would try that and see if any new circulation is generated.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

I think @ Please will concur with me / that your video card is running way too hot @ 65C and you chipset temps of 52C are unacceptable !!

you need to get some additional case cooling fans into your case / you need to bring fresh air in and exaust the hot air out !!

runn your computer with the side cover off and a house fan blowing into it / then record your temps again after gaming for half an hour /

post a wider picture of the inside of your machine so we can get an idea of what mounting options you have for added case cooling fans ??????

is that video card warning threshold of 115C a default setting ??????? I would think by the time you get to 115C there should be some solder laying in the bottom of the case !!??

regards

joe

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the sugguestions, while i was checking out my fans I found out that my front fan, which is the only one that brings air in was actually turned off. I turned it on and now I dont have any heat problems, at least initially. ( At peak, The chipset maxed at 44, the video card maxed at 65, the cpu maxed at 29.) However I've only tested it every 10 minutes for 30 mins, and it was fine after 30 mins, but I still need to see if it hold up for hours of gaming, which ill try to test tomarow.

linderman - i agree that a 115C max is too high for the video card. For some reason that 115C isnt changeable, its in there as read only and I see no way to change it in the Nvidia options. I'm not sure why they set it that high.

At anyrate cooling is always going to be a issue so id like to see what you guys think of it as i have it now.

Heres my case

I have 4 case fans total in the case, 2 in the back blowing out air, 1 in the front bringing it in, and 1 on

the side which appers to bring air into the case, which u can see in the 2nd picture.

http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fansoverviewul1zp.jpg

This second picture shows the normal position my computer is in, which is pretty close to the wall, and

I am wondering if that is a problem.

http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normalpositionul0hn.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think, and ill post past with my results of having throughly tested it.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Dude, you have my friend's case but in silver! We installed two fans on the back to exhaust and turned the side panel fan to exhaust as well. There are no intakes except the vents. So far his temps are good, but he's also running an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton. We installed a pure copper HSF setup that spins faster as the temp changes. At max spin it's LOUD! I've found the key to low temps is a negative air pressure in the case. Less air = less heat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
humm, so you think I should consider reversing my front fan so it sucks the air out as well? I guess ill give that a try if im still having heating problems. My CPU is pretty kickass, and once I turned on that front fan, I notice my cpu fan will just turn off as the CPU temp drops below 20C. Assuming i have no more heating problems I thinkill overclock my 4000+ somwhat and my cooler should handel it fine, although I i will probably need more cooling if i ever do that overclock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well just played fear for 1 hour and it was fine,
Maxing at CPU:30 CHIPSET:45 GPU:46.

I'm thinking that fan has fixed it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ tiger025
Nice system :cool: Glad you were able to find a way to make it work! The front fan can make quite a difference. I think your setup is good as it is since you are seeing much better temps and no crashes. High temps will cause voltage droops which causes crashes and I think that is what was happening to you before. Your 'airflow strategy' now is front-to-back with the Zalman 9500 blowing front-to-back as well. The side fan blowing in is good to balance the pressure and to get fresh air flowing over the GPU/NB/RAM area and 'feed the zalman'. There are few conflicts in airflow direction to create turbulence. Turbulence means noise and fans working inefficiently against each other. In the case of all fans blowing out, I would recommend that there be several low-restriction vents far from the fans(to prevent 'short-circuits') to allow the large amount of air needed to supply that many fans or else they will work too hard.

Can't blame CompUSA too much for the installation and PCI slot selection as that is one big card and the MB layout is more to blame but that is a typical layout so...it is just how it is :4-dontkno . I doubt that they stress tested your system, they just plugged in the new stuff and fired it up to see if it works...no-one cares for your system as much as you do, so I hope you will get to know it better so you can make the most of it. Its a killer setup you have!! Next thing you'll be doing is fooling with BIOS settings and memory timings to realize the maximum performance your system is capable of :deveous: .

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
tiger025 said:
humm, so you think I should consider reversing my front fan so it sucks the air out as well? I guess ill give that a try if im still having heating problems. My CPU is pretty kickass, and once I turned on that front fan, I notice my cpu fan will just turn off as the CPU temp drops below 20C. Assuming i have no more heating problems I thinkill overclock my 4000+ somwhat and my cooler should handel it fine, although I i will probably need more cooling if i ever do that overclock.
NO if you do anything cut out the stamped grills where your existing fans are and replace them with some Wire fan Grills they are less restricting and help quiet the machine down. the more air you move through it the more heat it removes out. I would leave the side fan blowing in, because it supplies air to the video card area. chang the grill on that on two the fancy grill can also be restricting.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ tiger025
oldmn makes excellent suggestions :sayyes: . To clarify, my comments were made with the assumption that you were using the front fan blowing IN and were going to leave it like that unless you had more problems.

@oldmn
SilentPCReview fan?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am happy to hear you have your temps and stability back under control !!

I agree with Olmn 100% cut away the present tamped frill and install the wire versions >>>> much less air restriction

also if you case top is removable ?? I have had great success with cutting a "blow" hole in the very top flat part of the case / heat rises and I have installed a 120mm fan in the "new: hole exausting air out / what a difference !!
I have tried it on 3 cases so far and the smallest improvement I saw was 3 degrees C on the components / to me thats decent !! 5 & 6 degrees C on the best one !! Then you could have your bottom fans pulling air in

this approach keeps the hard drives cooler to / as the "pull" of the top side 120 brings air flow by your drives / instead of getting dead pockets of hot air around your hard drives >>> we have discovered this using smoke to watch air flow in a case

its all about tweaking at this point and how much effort you are willing to expend for samll improvements ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heh im not sure right now about cutting a hold in the top of my case, but ill certainly keep it in mind if I do start to OC. I may also look into those wire grills. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am now greatly enjoying Fear and quake4 which i just got today. :sayyes:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
My old case came with a plexi panel on top that held a fan. Sadly, the PSU I threw in had a fan that extended into the space where the fan would go so I had to remove it. When I have it to a friend we used a different PSU and placed an exhaust fan up there. He NEVER goes above 38C now. My current case has mesh sides so it's rather hard to steer airflow but I don't need to worry much about intakes. Now I'm just focused on getting the air out! I ppicked up a 120MM and a slot cooler (for the video card) and those should be arriving soon. I hope to see some major changes with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tiger025 said:
heh im not sure right now about cutting a hold in the top of my case, but ill certainly keep it in mind if I do start to OC. I may also look into those wire grills. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am now greatly enjoying Fear and quake4 which i just got today. :sayyes:
Its actually quite easy to do and can cause great results in temp decline. You can find a variety tutorials on google. Glad to hear that your computer is stable now :)

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well its food for thought, (chimneys on houses dont come out the bottom of the walls and neither should the hot air from your case !!) its probally one of the single best things I ever did that improved air flow & exausting hot air out for a cheap investment (dremel)
dont do it though if you top doesnt remove !! you dont want little metal chips inside the case !!

I see the Cooler Master Pratorian 730 comes all preped with a "blow-hole" what an awesome case !!

Ebackus / sounds like you have some darn good plans in the works there !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry to say im again having problems.... :sad: Not severe, but very troubling. My computer randomly restared while I was watching a video today, its flashed black, flashed a BOS for a split second then restared normally. The cooling is not the problem, and games have been running fine for long periods of time. I'd say i've had 4 random restarts in a period of 2 weeks or so since I did this upgrade. (montioned at the start of this old thread.)

Recapping I have:

Amd Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4ghz, San Diego) [new]
3D Fuzion 7800GT [new]
Dfi Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D [new]
1GB Corsair XMS Twinx PC3200 RAM (2x512MB) [4 Months old]
Zalman CNPS9500 HSF [new]
480 Watt Antec TrueBlue PSU [4 months old]

I see that the ram or the PSU may be the culprit, but in either case I now must upgrade the PSU. I have been reading stuff over at the DFI street forums, and the techs swear up and down that DFI boards MUST have a 24 pin PSU. My psu is only 20 pins. So I will order a new 24 pin PSU ASAP.

I'd like to get a Antec PSU and Ill spend $100 or so to get something good. It wont have to do SLI, but should otherwise be very good.

I'm looking mostly at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=58&Submit=Property

let me know which one you think would be the best, and what else I should do about this rebooting problem if the PSU is not the issue.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Tiger025
I do not think you could go wrong with any of them.

Well its food for thought, (chimneys on houses dont come out the bottom of the walls and neither should the hot air from your case !!) its probally one of the single best things I ever did that improved air flow & exausting hot air out for a cheap investment (dremel)
dont do it though if you top doesnt remove !! you dont want little metal chips inside the case !!

I see the Cooler Master Pratorian 730 comes all preped with a "blow-hole" what an awesome case !!
Ebackus / sounds like you have some darn good plans in the works there !!
Both my cases have blow holes in the top My P180 came with an 120 in the top. My Mini has a 120 blow hole by the PSU (can't use the top 5.25) but it made a drastic differance in the mini. Like you said heat rises so might as well help it out. :sayyes:
Ps: I cut my hole in the case when it was empty. :sayyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.