Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping a friend in my dorm assemble a pc last night, and it didnt go as expected.

We were unable to put in the power switch connectors into the mainboard, as the came bundled in one single black connector instead of individual connectors for the LED, RESET, +5v, etc.
We adlibbed there, and broke the wires out of the black connector, and starting putting them in randomly, into the mainboard.
Using possible, the Power switch and Ground wires, we were able to get the pc to turn on, ie the cpu fan started running.
However, we could see nothing on the screen.

There are some possible causes, but i cannot be sure.

The front panel wires are not plugged in properly into the mainboard.
We somehow fried the processor, by not putting in extra thermal paste on top of what comes with the heatsink (which has never happened to me before but someone did suggest it)
We damaged the mainboard.
We damaged the RAM cards.

I dont think it is damage to the GFX card, as we tried out two different cards in the troubleshooting process.

Any help, please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dai,

At least i know i didnt fry my friend's cpu.

Do you have any comments or suggestions on connecting the front panel powerswitch wires?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i have not struck one of the block connectors yet so cannot suggest anything except your mb diagram in the manual should list what each pin is for and check the wires to see if it is printed on them
for the purpose of starting with it out of the case start it by touching the 2 pins from the case switch with a paper clip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.