Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had a t1 server, would I be able to access the internet for free?

How would I get directly connected to the internet without going through a middlemand like adelphia or roadrunner?

What are servers for, how do they work?

I really would just like to try and understand servers a bit more, thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
227 Posts
When you are connected to adelphia or RR, you are directly connected to the internet (Unless you're behind a cable router), with an IP address and everything. However, alot of cable companies will not allow incoming connections on certain ports, that would be used for hosting. Besides it's not feasable with a standard cable line, since the upload speed (speed from your computer to the computer connecting to you) is generally much smaller then your download speed (speed from the server/computer connecting/sending data to you)

you CAN get a commercial cable line (some cable companies provide them), that generally is much faster, and has equal download and upload speeds. However, they can cost quite a bit. As far as a T1, that is a leased line, and those are even more expensive. Generally T1's are for schools, some medium sized businesses, and they are not only for servers, but providing internet access to a larger number of computers inside the school/business/whatever.

servers:
there are many kinds of servers. As far as the world wide web goes, there are web servers, which contain software that 'serves' web pages to peoples computer (techsupportforum.com is a computer (rack or IBM compat), with web server software on it, which allows you to communicate with it and post from your browser)

Then there's mail servers, this is what you connect to to retrieve your email through outlook or whatever mail client you use (if you use your web browser (eg Yahoo, hotmail), you're still going through a web server). Web servers use a protocol called Pop3, which allows you to download messages, there's an extended version of this called IMAP, I think that's what AOL uses, or at least some version of it

a server is generally, a computer or device that serves other computers/clients. I can go into mucho detail with this, but my fingers are already starting to cramp :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.