Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know what video card I have? Is there away to check in windows or do I need to open up the computer?

Also, what's the best way to check if the driver is up to date? Windows Update, computer manufacturer's website, or video card's manufacturer's website?

Thanks for putting up with dumb newbie questions.

P

·
0 Posts
unknown device identifier might be very handy and make things easier. You can open up the case and look for brand and model number of the card. If it is onboard you might need to look for the motherboard model number and get the video drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website.

To be sure your drivers are up to date you need to check the manufacturers website. I never ever get video or sound driver updates from windows update. It may be harm then fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PurpleSky said:
If it is onboard you might need to look for the motherboard model number and get the video drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website.
Thanks for the help.

This is probably another stupid question, but what does it me for the video card to be "onboard"?

I kinda feel bad bothering you guys with my basic questions. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
on board means the pc you have does not have a graphicas card plugged into it but instead has a built in graphics card on the motherboard, this card cant be taken out but can be disabled if you were to add a new one. These onboard graphics card are normally poor quality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unknown Device Identifier???

PurpleSky said:
How do you use the Unknown Device Identifier?

I downloaded it and ran it. It seemed to run (hobbes went across the screen). Then it stopped. A few seconds later a window appeared but disappeared immediately.

Was the window supposed to disappear? (I'm thinking no.) What went wrong?

·
Registered
40 Posts
or jsut go in start>controll panel > sytem > hardware tab > device manage and then click the + by display adaptors and that will be your graphics card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.