Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a newbie trying to fix my pc and feel I have learned enough to know there maybe something wrong with the new ASUS P4VP-MX MB I have. It will not POST and I get "NO SIGNAL". Instead it powers up the fans when the PSU is switched on, regardless of pressing the case switch.

I have taken it out of the case and placed it on an antistatic mat. Then removed all leads and tried it with just PSU, speaker and CPU fan (CPU and RAM removed also). Now with this bare bones setup it still powers up the fan on PSU being switched on. There are no beeps either. If I short the power on/off pins or the reset pins it makes no difference - the power and fan remain on always.

Also tried resetting CMOS but no difference. I've also replaced PSU as well just to be sure.

Am I right in thinking it should not power the fans until the power on/off pins are shorted? Am I missing something obvious here? Tempted to try another MB but it may be my knowledge that is failing me here. Please help, this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

you have done an awesome job so far of troubleshooting

are you sure you are jumping the correct pins / the pins you are trying to jump should be side wasy in alignment not vertically ??????? in other words the pins you are shorting for the mobo case power on and off switch should be side by side / at nine oclock and three oclock in relationship to each other ????

does the cpu fan spin

did you hear the audbile click when the main mobo connector and cpu 4 pin connector engaged the lock on the mobo's plastic connector ?????

how many pins is your mobo connector and how many is your PSU / i.e. are they both 20 pin to a 20 pin / or do you have a 24pin mobo being supplied by a 20 pin psu ????? are you 100% sure you have the right four pin cpu power plug ??????

what model PSU / the reson why I ask / a week ago I had a guy bring me a computer he was "hobby" building / he bought an antec PSU just like I advised him / when he started the build he seperated the 24 pin antec connector and removed the "extra" four pin thus converting it to the needed 20 pin mobo connection / that was cool

but then he took the remaining four pin connection from splitting the pus connector and was trying to use it to power the four pin CPU connector
as soon as we plugged in the correct four pin connector (the one with a latch !!!!) away it went !!!

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply linderman. I'm just about to leave office so this is quick reply. I'll check on the things you ask and post back later tonight if I have things wrong.

I'm fairly sure I have the pin orientation right. Also there isn't a 4-pin conector on this mobo - just the 20-pin one. And yes I hear it click. The PSU is a QTEchnology 300w. CPU fan always on. Gotto go for time being..

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Blue:

I agree with DAI 100% / youre not going to get far with a 300 watt PSU trying to run a P4 system !!!

an your Mobo DOES have the four pin necessary CPU power pin connector / look at your motherboard about 3/4 of an inch in front of the regular 20 pin connection / you will see a white square connector somwhat elevated compared to the 20 pin / that your 4 pin cpu power lead !!

I donwloaded your mobo manual and its plain as day in the color blow-up photo inside the mobo manual.

I highly reccommend Enermax / 1st choice or Antec both High quality PSU / you will need at least 500 watts to have a little extra (always needed) 550 would even be better / there is very little diff in the cost of a 550 vs 450 once youre looking at quality supplies (about $100.00) look in newegg.com or ebay

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The PSU has a 20 pin connector to match the 20 pin on the board. The previous PSU on this machine was 250w (and system worked for 2 years) so I was hoping 300w was enough. I may exchange it in light of your recommendations.

Now to the 4 pin connector. This is interesting. I looked where you said linderman and could not see a 4 pin connector to stick my PSU on. Then I looked closer , real close, and saw 4 soldered spots in a little square formation! Has it been knocked off? Did it ever have one? There's also a hole next to these spots where the MB connector would have been anchored. This is worrying to say the least. Strange thing is is that the manual makes no reference to this connector, unlike all other connectors on the board. Could this be the root of the problem?

specs:
P4 3.06 Socket 478
QTechnology 300W
ASUS P4VP-MX
Seagate barracuda 120gb 7200rpm
nVidia 128mb
1 x 512 samsung memory stick
Coolermaster heatsink + paste

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Page 14 (section 1.4) of the downloaded pdf manual shows the same 4 solder spots as per my board without the connector. Page 11 clearly shows a board with the connector. Go figure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still got a problem with my "always on" mobo. On the verge of returning this and getting another (and just hoping that it doesn't start up until I press the case switch)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if it powers up with the front case switches disconnected,then faulty m/b or power supply
rma the board

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.