Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some "hand holding" before I plunk down some of my hard earned bucks.. This will be my first Notebook but I've pretty savvy on desktops but I do have some qualms about the Notebook I'm thinking of buying. It's an HP ZD8230US with Windows XP Media Center OP pre-installed by HP. .

One of the questions I have is this: What do I do if I have a catastrophic failure, like a crashed HDD/lost system files or something like that. With my desktops I would just install a new HDD and/or reinstall the OP system.. HP says they do not supply the Media Center disk with the Notebook so what would I do in this case ??

Another question I have has to do with hardware quality. Does anyone have any experience with this Notebook and if so, what is your experience ?

Thanks In Advance

Chuck

· Registered
15 Posts
ccenters said:
One of the questions I have is this: What do I do if I have a catastrophic failure, like a crashed HDD/lost system files or something like that. With my desktops I would just install a new HDD and/or reinstall the OP system.. HP says they do not supply the Media Center disk with the Notebook so what would I do in this case ??
I had a friend who had a laptop with XP on it and it wouldn't boot and she wanted the data back.

Bought a USB 2.5" hard drive craddle for about £20 and took the hard disk out and got all the data off. Acer and Toshiba's seem to be decent stuff for the money (IMO).

· Registered
18,185 Posts
I own an Acer and I know plenty who own Toshibas. We're all quite happy with our purchases! My Acer cost me about $1,135 with taxes (8.8%) and so far I'm very satisfied.

Acer Aspire 1522LMi
15" XGA 1024x768. External VGA port.
AMD Athlon64 3000+ 1MB L2 1.8Ghz.
VIA K8N800 chipset with integrated S3 UniChrome Pro2 AGP video.
512MB DDR PC2700 RAM. 2GB PC3200 max.
Mini-PCI 802.11b/g with SignalUp range extension.
56K v.92 fax/modem.
80GB 5400RPM HDD. 2, 36, 36 partitioning.
DVD Dual R/RW drive.
4 USB 2.0 ports, IEEE 1394, 2x PCMCIA slots.

Pros:
Upgradable CPU. I think the video may be upgradable via a new daughterboard. Very bright TFT screen is sharp and easy to read. Battery life (~2hrs) is good for a laptop running a desktop class CPU. Copper heat pipe cooling is efficient. Comes with full version of Windows XP in case HDD fails. Disk-to-disk recovery.

Cons: Video is not for modern gaming. Tends to get hot while doing heavy graphical work. Bundled "Acer Arcade" media player software is slow and clunky, 100+ MB total size.

Overall I'd give this laptop an A. Great price for the features, very fast and is 64-bit ready.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newbie Laptop Buyer AGAIN

Thanks for the responses guys.. :sayyes:

I am also not to UP with HP stuff. I used HP computers etc [ hi $ stuff ] at my job and we had all kinds of problems with it..

OK, Now I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite P35. It has most of the features I want except it only has 1/2 GB memory [ wanted 1 GB ] and the video card, ATI 9000 "shares" memory with the main board [ don't really like that ] and no Bluetooth - but I can order an adapter to cover that.

Does anyone have comments on this P35 - good or bad ?

Thanks again..

Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.