Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals...

Ok here's the background....

An XP Pro running on a laptop through a strop nad lost a coe windows file, i re-installed XP but am now unable to access a folder in documents and settings wich contains all of my files, i had made this file Private as the laptop is a multi user machine, is their anyway to reset the permmisons on the lap top to enable me to access it.... i Know this can be done on 2000 so it surely can be done on XP

Cheers

DoZZa

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you encrypted it, the contents are probably lost. OTOH, I would think the Administrator could access any file, including that one. You may have to change the permissions on the folder if it's been set to Deny all other users, but the Administrator can do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi john, (you seem to be saving my butt again)

i dont think the files would of been encryted (the business teacher wouldnt be that clever) were abouts can i unset the denie all users setting???

Cheers DoZZa

p.s i hate XP arrrgh

P.s.s I hate Micro$teal

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Navigate to the folder in question that you don't have access to logged in as Admin. Right click and select properties, then Security. Make sure that everyone is granted all rights. Next, select Advanced and make sure that nothing odd is set there. There are a lot of options, but you should just see Everybody with all rights.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi john,

i know this may sem stupid but does the laptop need to be a member of a domain, because at this current point in time it is a standalone and the option for security seems not to be thier??

Cheers

DoZZa

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,
thankyou for the help my client is much more smilely now........

Cheers
DoZZa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.